What's going on in this proof about integers?

In summary: Thanks for explaining it!That "add 0 to an equation by adding some quantity x and then subtracting x again" thing always catches me off guard. I'm very familiar with that trick from various calc II integrals,but it still always hits me like a truck. Thanks for explaining it!
QuarkCharmer

Homework Statement

Prove that for every integer n>=8, there exists nonnegative integers a and b, such that n =3a+5b

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to understand the proof of this. It goes as follows:
OtysN97.jpg

I am having a hard time figuring out what is going on in any of the three cases.

Firstly, why did they pick 3q, 3q+1, and 3q+2?
They could do this proof using n = 5q, 5q+1, 5q+2, 5q+3, 5q+4 also correct? It would just have more cases, and therefor, be more work?

Then, about the cases.

Case I: n = 3q
I see what they did here. Since they picked to represent their integer as 3q, they supposed that b = 0, and then it's easy to show there exists an a, since a = q at that point. And a >=3 because n = 3q needs to be greater than 8.

Case II: n = 3q+1
Here is where I am troubled.
How do they make the jump to claim that n = 3(q − 3) + 10 ??
What is the thought process behind this?

I would appreciate any explanation that you could provide. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
QuarkCharmer said:

Homework Statement

Prove that for every integer n>=8, there exists nonnegative integers a and b, such that n =3a+5b

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to understand the proof of this. It goes as follows:
OtysN97.jpg

I am having a hard time figuring out what is going on in any of the three cases.

Firstly, why did they pick 3q, 3q+1, and 3q+2?
They could do this proof using n = 5q, 5q+1, 5q+2, 5q+3, 5q+4 also correct? It would just have more cases, and therefor, be more work?

Then, about the cases.

Case I: n = 3q
I see what they did here. Since they picked to represent their integer as 3q, they supposed that b = 0, and then it's easy to show there exists an a, since a = q at that point. And a >=3 because n = 3q needs to be greater than 8.

Case II: n = 3q+1
Here is where I am troubled.
How do they make the jump to claim that n = 3(q − 3) + 10 ??
What is the thought process behind this?

I would appreciate any explanation that you could provide. Thanks!

n=3q+1, 3(q-3)+10=3q-9+10=3q+1=n. It's not as big a jump as you think.

Likes 1 person
Ah I see. So they are still playing the make one side look like the other game. Thanks again!

QuarkCharmer said:
Ah I see. So they are still playing the make one side look like the other game. Thanks again!

That's a good way to phrase it. They are just splitting up into something divisible by 3 plus something divisible by 5.

Yeah.

That "add 0 to an equation by adding some quantity x and then subtracting x again" thing always catches me off guard. I'm very familiar with that trick from various calc II integrals,

but it still always hits me like a truck.

Related to What's going on in this proof about integers?

1. What is the purpose of proving statements about integers?

The purpose of proving statements about integers is to establish mathematical truths and provide evidence for mathematical theories. This helps to build a solid foundation for further mathematical research and applications in various fields.

2. How do you prove a statement about integers?

To prove a statement about integers, you typically use mathematical induction, which involves proving a base case and then showing that if the statement is true for one integer, it is also true for the next integer. Other methods may also be used, such as direct proof, proof by contradiction, or proof by contraposition.

3. What is the importance of proofs in mathematics?

Proofs are essential in mathematics because they provide logical evidence for mathematical statements and theories. They also help to clarify and solidify mathematical concepts, as well as provide a basis for further exploration and advancement in the field.

4. How does proving statements about integers relate to other branches of mathematics?

Proving statements about integers is a fundamental aspect of number theory, which is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties and relationships of integers. It also has applications in other branches of mathematics, such as algebra, geometry, and calculus.

5. What are some common challenges in proving statements about integers?

Some common challenges in proving statements about integers include finding a suitable starting point, identifying the correct method of proof, and dealing with complex or abstract concepts. It also requires a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and the ability to think logically and critically.