What's some of the coolest technology you've used?

• Thread starter dkotschessaa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Technology
In summary, Dave has used a number of technologies at work or in research that he finds cool. These include 3D printers, neural networks, and electric coffee percolators.
dkotschessaa
I'm not a physicist, so my answer is not glamorous, but I'm wondering what's some of the coolest technology you have used at work or in research?

I am doing a temporary job where I am testing point of sale systems and their ability to handle various types of currency. I have some physical cards made with a card encoder, but I don't get to play with the encoder itself. Years ago I did get to play with a card encoder at a different job.

Here I have a machine hooked up to a computer that can simulate any type of credit card (test cards of course, no real money involved). It may not sound exciting, but it's a really cool job, as we document issues with the system and are really a part of the process. My strong point is my ability to come up with new ways of breaking the system! (Before the customer does, one hopes).

Of course, your answer may be "particle accelerator," but as you can see, I am curious about any neat gizmo that you have used that you thought was cool, even if you were the only one that thought so.

-Dave K

Computer science news on Phys.org
in Biology:
electron microscopes
scanning electron microscopes
confocal microscopes
differential interference/fluorescence microscopes (I like small stuff)

also pipetmen (and associated technologies): measures small volumes fast and accurately, with a new plastic tip for each measurement (avoids contamination)

Home:
IR thermometer: useful and fun

Fabrication:
3D printer
Milling machine

Probably supercomputers, I used them for a massive simulation in college that required more power than the computer labs at the school could provide. I was also allowed to upload test programs to IBM's quantum computer.

Neural networks I've recently discovered to be a really cool technology. I'm currently rebuilding several of my AI routines to use them. I've also become obsessed with genetic algorithms. They often come up with really unique solutions to problems that I never would have thought of, and outperform my carefully calculated solutions.

newjerseyrunner said:
Probably supercomputers, I used them for a massive simulation in college that required more power than the computer labs at the school could provide. I was also allowed to upload test programs to IBM's quantum computer.

Neural networks I've recently discovered to be a really cool technology. I'm currently rebuilding several of my AI routines to use them. I've also become obsessed with genetic algorithms. They often come up with really unique solutions to problems that I never would have thought of, and outperform my carefully calculated solutions.

Yes, I'm fascinating with GA's (and all the possible variants) also. (Ant colony optimization is neat. I haven't gotten really into it yet though).

Stupid question - but I know what a neural network is in theory, but I don't know how it exists as a physical thing. Is it software that's running on a computer or supercomputer, or is there a physical "network" of something that you are using.

-Dave K

dkotschessaa said:
Stupid question - but I know what a neural network is in theory, but I don't know how it exists as a physical thing. Is it software that's running on a computer or supercomputer, or is there a physical "network" of something that you are using.
It's software, I've never heard of any hardware accelerated NN, though it may happen in the future as they may start taking AI and simulation jobs in games.

ZX81.

Likes DennisN
One of the coolest things I've used recently are these little deformable mirrors that have actuators at the back so you can make them different shapes to simulate astigmatism and other sorts of distortion.

Likes mister mishka
cosmik debris said:
One of the coolest things I've used recently are these little deformable mirrors that have actuators at the back so you can make them different shapes to simulate astigmatism and other sorts of distortion.

Do they have a name?

Electric coffee percolator.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Mondayman said:
Electric coffee percolator.

Don't get me started on coffee devices. (oh, too late).

I have an espresso machine, a stovetop espresso maker (sometimes called a moka pot), and a portable french press I use to avoid the terrible coffee that is served at most offices and workplaces.

-Dave K

Likes Mondayman
I get to play with dilution refrigerators with a base temperatures of 8mK...ls that cool enough:cool:

Likes DennisN and Borek
f95toli said:
I get to play with dilution refrigerators with a base temperatures of 8mK...ls that cool enough:cool:

Looks like you won this round.

dkotschessaa said:
Do they have a name?

This sort of thing: http://www.imagine-optic.com/en/products/deformable-mirrors-and-adaptive-optic-tools/

Likes mister mishka
I haven't used this but I want to!
http://www.which.co.uk/news/2016/06/philips-launches-smart-electric-toothbrush-that-maps-your-brushing-445670/

Likes dkotschessaa
cosmik debris said:
This sort of thing: http://www.imagine-optic.com/en/products/deformable-mirrors-and-adaptive-optic-tools/

Cool!

Ah, so they are called...deformable mirrors. Thought they'd be something like a variable spectra reflecting somethingadoodle. (I'll contact the company an give them the idea).

-Dave K

Greg Bernhardt said:
I haven't used this but I want to!
http://www.which.co.uk/news/2016/06/philips-launches-smart-electric-toothbrush-that-maps-your-brushing-445670/

That is cool. I actually have a sonicare, but it is almost time to replace it..hmmm

-Dave K

dkotschessaa said:
Don't get me started on coffee devices. (oh, too late).

I have an espresso machine, a stovetop espresso maker (sometimes called a moka pot), and a portable french press I use to avoid the terrible coffee that is served at most offices and workplaces.

-Dave K

Can never have too many options for coffee.

I read your response first thing in the morning, and promptly discovered that I've run completely out of coffee :frown: not an ideal start to the day!

Mondayman said:
Can never have too many options for coffee.

I read your response first thing in the morning, and promptly discovered that I've run completely out of coffee :frown: not an ideal start to the day!
I am so sorry this happened to you. I hope by now this injustice has been resolved and never happens again.

I recall estimating amounts of cut and fill using a topo map and planimeter.

Borek said:
ZX81.
[PLAIN]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZX81 said:
The[/PLAIN] ZX81 came with 1 KB of on-board memory that could officially be expanded externally to 16 KB.
fainting-smiley-emoticon.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the 1 kB version.

But I am quite serious. While there were plenty of cool things I have seen since, I don't think they beat the Wow factor.

Likes dlgoff
Borek said:
I had the 1 kB version.

But I am quite serious. While there were plenty of cool things I have seen since, I don't think they beat the Wow factor.

My first computer was a TI994A in the 80s. I never saw one of the ones you have. When did it come out?

-Dave K

Borek said:
I got it around 1984. It was already three years old, but we were lagging behind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZX81

I wish I still had my TI. We didn't have storage, so if I wanted to play a game I had to program it and just leave the computer on. When I got sick of it I'd turn the computer off and my game went *poof*. Eventually we got tape storage. Ah, the sound takes me back!

-Dave K

Likes Borek
Since we have gotten onto retro-tech a little bit, some may be interested in this site: http://savethesounds.info/

I think they could do a lot more.

-Dave K

Equipment for taking X rays of working jet engines .

Olympus test bed .

Cray supercomputer in USA via data link from Mtu in Munich

Cranfield Jetstream flying laboratory .

Apple IIe .

My first lathe .

No6 Meccano with motor and gear set .

Etch- a-Sketch .

Likes BillTre and dkotschessaa
Nidum said:
Equipment for taking X rays of working jet engines .

Olympus test bed .

Cray supercomputer in USA via data link from Mtu in Munich

Cranfield Jetstream flying laboratory .

Apple IIe .

My first lathe .

No6 Meccano with motor and gear set .

Etch- a-Sketch .

I can almost detect a bit of a ranking in this list...

Likes Nidum

1. What is the most advanced technology you have used?

The most advanced technology I have used is machine learning algorithms for data analysis. These algorithms are constantly evolving and becoming more sophisticated, allowing for more accurate and efficient analysis of large datasets.

2. Can you give an example of a cool technology you have used?

One of the coolest technologies I have used is virtual reality. I have used it for research and simulations, and it has the ability to create immersive and realistic environments for various applications.

3. Have you used any cutting-edge technologies in your research?

Yes, I have used several cutting-edge technologies in my research, such as CRISPR-Cas9 gene editing, nanotechnology, and artificial intelligence. These technologies have the potential to revolutionize many fields of science and have already made significant advancements.

4. How does the technology you use impact your research?

The technology I use has a huge impact on my research. It allows me to collect and analyze data more efficiently, collaborate with other researchers from around the world, and make new discoveries that would not be possible without these tools.

5. What is the most exciting technology you have used in your career?

The most exciting technology I have used in my career is gene editing. It has the potential to cure diseases, improve crop yields, and even create new species. The possibilities are endless and I am excited to see where this technology will take us in the future.