What's the alternative to watching the soccer world cup?

• Thread starter davenn
  • Start date
In summary, Dave thinks that poker is a more interesting game to play than either soccer or golf, and that televised poker is not only boring but annoying. He also says that if you use televised poker to learn how to play the game, it's a disaster.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
for all of you sick of the soccer world cup ...

attachment.php?attachmentid=70797&stc=1&d=1403500679.jpg

cheers
Dave

Attachments

• 104.jpg
    104.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 702
Physics news on Phys.org
Man... look at that guy stare... it's positively RIVETING!

haha

I have a few walls here at home that he can paint if he wants to
D

:rofl:

At least it's not NASCAR. Or golf. Or bowling (yep, that used to be on TV when I was a kid!).

Now it's poker instead of bowling. It makes bowling look exciting.

Hey, I actually like watching poker on T.V. on the very rare instance I happen to be infront of one while they're showing it. Poker is a very interesting game to watch if you play it.

It's an interesting game to play if you play it. That doesn't mean it's interesting to watch. Bowling can be an interesting game if you play it. It's still boring to watch on TV, as is poker. TV poker is not only boring, it's annoying! I find the incessant click, click, click of players playing with their chips to be extremely grating.

If you use televised poker to learn how to play the game, it's a disaster. Once you start playing the *real* game you immediately realize you can't see your opponents' hands -- OOPS! Sort of makes it a different game!

Gosh and it seemed so easy on TV...

lisab said:
Once you start playing the *real* game you immediately realize you can't see your opponents' hands -- OOPS! Sort of makes it a different game!
But you can see their hands! And their faces. And their eyes (we had a rule: NO SUNGLASSES!) And all kinds of other things. Did his voice just get squeaky? Did he just look at his hand three or four times and then count all of his chips?

Poker helped me get through college on a healthy diet. A bad night meant ramen noodles for a week, with maybe a splurge night on mac & cheese with a cheap (very cheap!) bottle of Pabst Blue Ribbon. A good night meant steak, lamb chops, fresh fish, fresh fruits and vegetables, and several glasses of nice wine for the next week.

lisab said:
At least it's not NASCAR. Or golf. Or bowling (yep, that used to be on TV when I was a kid!).

or fishing

but, yes, soccer/football is not all that interesting to watch

Greg Bernhardt said:
davenn, we may have to invent a new infraction for this! :devil: :tongue:

hahaha eeekkkk

my dig at soccer or all the poker that's going on in here ? haha

I did actually play soccer when I was ~ 8 or 9 yrs old at primary school
played basketball in high school

cheers
Dave

lisab said:

Yeah NASCAR compared to other motor sports is a bit boring with the oval track
In Australia and New Zealand, we have the V8 supercars with good winding tracks
Mount Panorama, in Bathurst, a couple of 100 km inland from me, is not only winding but has a very curly hill section.

The V8's and rally driving are my main motor sports interests. I can take or leave F1

cheers
Dave

Ohhhh and speaking of GOLF !

In ancient Scotland, men cursed and beat the ground with sticks as a form of witchcraft, but since the 17th century it's been called "golf." :wink:cheers
Dave

Remember, "golf" is "flog" spelled backwards.

As much as I enjoy playing soccer, I find watching it to be fairly excruciating. Still, the postdocs in my group (for whom it is football, not soccer) insist that I watch the world cup.

I frankly don't understand why so many of you Americans find soccer to be so boring, when you get so excited over American football (i.e. NFL football) which IMHO is one of the slowest and most incomprehensible sports imaginable (at least on TV, at any rate).

I've watched a number of World Cup matches thus far, and they have been absolutely fascinating; actually among the most exciting games thus far were those between the US vs Ghana and US vs Portugal.

StatGuy2000 said:
I frankly don't understand why so many of you Americans find soccer to be so boring, when you get so excited over American football (i.e. NFL football) which IMHO is one of the slowest and most incomprehensible sports imaginable (at least on TV, at any rate).

I've watched a number of World Cup matches thus far, and they have been absolutely fascinating; actually among the most exciting games thus far were those between the US vs Ghana and US vs Portugal.

What's boring about 22 men slamming into each other every 30 seconds?

lisab said:

Or darts, that does involve staring at a wall.

StatGuy2000 said:

American Football is a game of Go or Chess for the Coaches. The strategy is deep and the tactics are manifold. It is a peerless sport, to play and watch. :tongue:

Golf is incredibly boring to watch, but sailboat racing ain't the thrill of my life either:

Title: Exciting Sailing Footage [sic] :zzz:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU-hqwGKLws

ZombieFeynman said:
American Football is a game of Go or Chess for the Coaches. The strategy is deep and the tactics are manifold. It is a peerless sport, to play and watch. :tongue:

That's something I hear of from fans of American football all the time. Firstly, virtually every team sport (soccer, hockey, lacrosse, baseball, etc.) involve deep strategy. Secondly, when I've watched an American football, all I see is a bunch of overgrown men landing on top of each other! :tongue:

Drakkith said:
What's boring about 22 men slamming into each other every 30 seconds?

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but if you enjoy men slamming into each other, try watching hockey, my country's national sport! :P

What is "More exciting than soccer"?

"More exciting than soccer" is a phrase that refers to something that is more thrilling or captivating than the popular sport of soccer.

Why is it called "More exciting than soccer"?

The phrase is used to emphasize the level of excitement or entertainment provided by a particular activity or event. It is often used as a comparison to the excitement generated by the sport of soccer.

What are some examples of things that can be "More exciting than soccer"?

Some examples of activities or events that can be considered "More exciting than soccer" include extreme sports such as bungee jumping or skydiving, high-intensity concerts or music festivals, and thrilling amusement park rides.

Is "More exciting than soccer" subjective or objective?

The phrase is subjective, as what one person considers to be more exciting than soccer may differ from another person's perspective. It is based on personal opinions and preferences.

Can anything be objectively proven to be "More exciting than soccer"?

No, the level of excitement or entertainment provided by an activity or event is subjective and cannot be objectively proven. It ultimately depends on an individual's personal experiences and preferences.