What's the best way to separate a dissolved mixture

• Thread starter Kombaiyashii
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mixture
In summary, the person is trying to prepare old manuscripts for medicinal purposes, but is having some difficulty getting the sodium bicarbonate solution to dry completely. They are looking for advice on a better way to do this.
Kombaiyashii
Hi folks,

I like to recreate medival medicines from old manuscripts but I have come to a slight problem when it comes to the prepairation...

I'm trying to separate sodium bicarbonate which is dissolved in water. What I usually do is have a baking dish like the one below filled with the solution of water and sodium bicarbonate...I then put it in the oven on a low heat. After a while the water evaporates leaving mostly the sodium bicarbonate in the dish...

http://iweb.cooking.com/images/products/enlarge/183013e.jpg

The problems is that I can't get it very dry. I would like to evaporate all the water so I get a 100% powdered solution. If I carry on heating the solution, eventually the sodium bicarbonate crystalises which traps some water underneath and the crystals heat up and the whole thing starts spitting and then I get sodium bicarbonate all over my oven...

I was wondering if anyone knew a better way to separate the two and get a nice dry powder without too much work or expensive equipment?

Thanks,

Komb

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Seems to me your solution should work OK if you just keep the temp below boiling and let it simmer long enough.

Or you could just put a lid on the pan. Does it matter whether your precipitate is collected in the pan or on the underside of a lid?

@OP, do you have access to a dehydrator (usually used to dry fruits and vegetables)? Very little monitoring is necessary, and you can use the various trays to dry several solutions at once, if you like.

Many hours at temp below boiling, that's more or less the standard procedure.

Some mixing/crushing during drying won't hurt - you will break the surface and allow water to escape.

Lid will slow the process, you want the vapor to be able to leave the volume above the salt, as salt will be not drying under saturated atmosphere.

Borek said:
Lid will slow the process, you want the vapor to be able to leave the volume above the salt, as salt will be not drying under saturated atmosphere.
Right. A screen then.

1. What is the most effective method for separating a dissolved mixture?

The most effective method for separating a dissolved mixture depends on the specific components of the mixture and their physical and chemical properties. Some common methods include filtration, distillation, chromatography, and evaporation.

2. How does filtration separate a dissolved mixture?

Filtration separates a dissolved mixture by passing it through a filter, which traps larger particles and allows the smaller particles to pass through. This method is effective for separating mixtures where one component is a solid and the other is a liquid.

3. What is the process of distillation for separating a dissolved mixture?

Distillation involves heating the mixture to its boiling point and collecting the vapor that is produced. The vapor is then condensed back into a liquid, separating the components based on their different boiling points. This method is useful for separating liquids with different boiling points.

4. How does chromatography work to separate a dissolved mixture?

Chromatography separates a dissolved mixture by passing it through a medium, such as a paper or column, that allows the components to move at different rates. This separation is based on the components' different affinities for the medium. This method is often used to separate mixtures with multiple components.

5. Can evaporation be used to separate a dissolved mixture?

Yes, evaporation can be used to separate a dissolved mixture by heating the mixture and allowing the liquid component to evaporate, leaving behind the solid component. This method is effective for separating mixtures where one component is a solid and the other is a liquid.