What's the Chemistry Behind Your Cup of Coffee?

• Thread starter jim mcnamara
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coffee
In summary, coffee has food value and nutrients like niacin and potassium, some kCal per 8 oz cup (~2-4). Small amounts of carbohydrate. A huge number of compounds closely related to drying methods, coffee species - C canephora, C arabica, and roasting processes. Espresso vs dark roast "normal" coffee was discussed in this regard. There was a section on acrylamide content - acrylamide exposure is some thing that has to come to light recently in terms of carcinogenic effects of the compound. Longer roasting time decreases arylamides, so medium roast coffee has about 25% of the acrylamides found in light roast. Paper removes (ads
jim mcnamara
Mentor
http://www.ift.org/~/media/Knowledge%20Center/Publications/Books/Samples/IFTPressBook_Coffee_PreviewChapter.pdf

Is an overview of coffee chemical analysis. I biffed a comment the other day about the caloric value of black coffee. So I did some reading. The article is aimed at at Food Technologists in a large part.

The takeaway from my viewpoint is:
1. Coffee has food value and nutrients like niacin and potassium, some kCal per 8 oz cup (~2-4)
2. Small amounts of carbohydrate
3. A huge number of compounds closely related to drying methods, coffee species - C canephora, C arabica, and roasting processes.

And using/not using paper filters during brewing has a big effect on the presence of some compounds, as you might expect. Espresso vs dark roast "normal" coffee was discussed in this regard. There was a section on acrylamide content - acrylamide exposure is some thing that has to come to light recently in terms of carcinogenic effects of the compound. Longer roasting time decreases arylamides, so medium roast coffee has about 25% of the acrylamides found in light roast.

Likes DrClaude
Biology news on Phys.org
I take mine with ice. Is that unhealthy?

I read that using paper filters reduces some of the 'bad' stuff. I'm too tired right now to find it, I owe you

Paper removes (adsorption) some volatile oils which apparently influence taste. The only really "bad guys" I saw in the paper were acrylamides. A lot of the other things listed are either not on my "bad-radar" or I don't know enough to comment about them, assuming some are bad. They are listed as sterols and bioactive terpenes. "Bioactive" is a door that swings both ways, FWIW.

Hot brewed coffee has a limited amount of emulsified oils (diterpenes, tannins and phenolic acids), some plant sterols like beta sitosterol). I would guess that a large influx of ice might force them to precipitate. Don't know for sure.

One thing I do know - green coffee bean dust is allergenic. Guy in grad school with me researched coffee DNA, and worked for hours grinding green coffee beans. He now cannot drink coffee or eat anything derived from it. And he is/was a researcher for Nestle - coffee naturally. Apparently lots of people who work in coffee production have the same problem.

speaking of coffee, I just happened to be reading
Scientific American, Volume XXXVI., No. 8, February 24, 1877 (gutenberg download)

"Caffeone, the aromatic principle of coffee, may be isolated by distilling 5 or 6 lbs. roasted coffee with water, agitating the aqueous distillate with ether, and afterwards evaporating the ether. It is a brown oil, heavier than water, in which it is only very slightly soluble. An almost imponderable quantity of this essential oil will suffice to aromatize a gallon of water."

I found only one instance of "caffeone" in a site "wordnik" which defines it as the aromatic principle of coffee (same as above).

If you use a French Press, you will not have to pass the oils through paper thus losing some of them.

1. What is the main ingredient in coffee?

The main ingredient in coffee is caffeine, a naturally occurring stimulant found in the coffee bean. Caffeine is what gives coffee its energizing effects.

2. How does the brewing process affect the taste of coffee?

The brewing process affects the taste of coffee in several ways. The grind size, water temperature, and brewing time all play a role in the final flavor of the coffee. Different brewing methods can also result in different flavor profiles.

3. Is there a difference between light and dark roast coffee?

Yes, there is a difference between light and dark roast coffee. Light roast coffee is roasted for a shorter amount of time, resulting in a lighter and more acidic flavor. Dark roast coffee is roasted for a longer period, resulting in a bolder and more intense flavor.

4. How does the country of origin affect the taste of coffee?

The country of origin can have a significant impact on the taste of coffee. Factors such as climate, soil composition, and altitude can all influence the flavor of the coffee beans. Different regions produce different types of coffee with unique flavor profiles.

5. Can drinking coffee have any health benefits?

Yes, there are several potential health benefits associated with drinking coffee. It can improve energy levels, boost cognitive function, and may even reduce the risk of certain diseases such as type 2 diabetes and Parkinson's disease. However, it's important to consume coffee in moderation and be aware of any potential negative effects such as increased heart rate or anxiety.