What's the General Solution to This IVP?

In summary, the initial value problem given by dy/dt = y^3 + t^2, y(0) = 0 cannot be solved using commonly known functions. The general solution is not known, but it is not in the form of a Bernoulli equation. Wolframalpha provides a simple solution of x=1 for y=0, but it is unclear how it arrived at this solution.
logan3
[itex]\frac {dy}{dt} = y^3 + t^2, y(0) = 0[/itex]

My teacher said this IVP couldn't be expressed in terms of functions we commonly know. I was wondering what the general solution is?

Thank-you

Physics news on Phys.org
logan3 said:
[itex]\frac {dy}{dt} = y^3 + t^2, y(0) = 0[/itex]

My teacher said this IVP couldn't be expressed in terms of functions we commonly know. I was wondering what the general solution is?

Thank-you
For solving this
It is a bernoulli form
Watch this video and you will get it how to solve

##\frac {dy}{dt} = y^3 + t^2, y(0) = 0## is not of the form ##y' + f(t)y = g(t)y^n## so it is not the Bernoulli equation.

Yes it's not Bernoulli form, sorry. I not know how to solve it, but Wolframalpha was showing the simple answer x=1 for y=0.
I don't know how it solved that.

What is an IVP?

An IVP, or initial value problem, is a type of differential equation that involves finding a solution that satisfies both the equation and a set of initial conditions. These initial conditions specify the value of the solution at a particular point in the domain.

What is the general solution to an IVP?

The general solution to an IVP is a solution that satisfies the given equation and initial conditions. It contains an arbitrary constant, which can be determined using the initial conditions to find a specific solution.

How do you find the general solution to an IVP?

To find the general solution to an IVP, first solve the differential equation using standard techniques such as separation of variables or integrating factors. Then, use the initial conditions to find the value of the arbitrary constant and form the general solution.

Why is finding the general solution important in an IVP?

Finding the general solution in an IVP allows for a complete understanding of the behavior of the system over its entire domain. It also allows for specific solutions to be found by plugging in the appropriate initial conditions.

Are there any limitations to the general solution in an IVP?

Yes, the general solution in an IVP may not take into account any specific constraints or boundary conditions that may be present in the problem. In these cases, the general solution may need to be modified to satisfy these additional conditions.