What's the importance of a spring force constant of 1634N/m?

In summary, a spring force constant is the measure of how much force is needed to compress a given amount of material.
OM225
Hi I'm new here and I've checked everywhere on google but I can't seem to find a website that'll tell me the spring force constant of items. Also what things would be in the range of a spring force constant of 163.427 N/m/

Physics news on Phys.org
OM225 said:
Hi I'm new here and I've checked everywhere on google but I can't seem to find a website that'll tell me the spring force constant of items.
You may have better luck if you search for "modulus of elasticity". However, that only applies to small displacements. For larger displacements, the shape of the object is critically important - coil springs are shaped to produce a particular spring constant, for example, and it's very different from the spring constant of a solid block of the same steel that spring is made of.

OM225 said:
Hi I'm new here and I've checked everywhere on google but I can't seem to find a website that'll tell me the spring force constant of items.
I think your best chance of finding such a list would be if you were actually shopping for springs.
McMaster-Carr sells springs, selectable by "spring force constants".

2019.01.29.springs.for.sale.png

Also what things would be in the range of a spring force constant of 163.427 N/m/

As you can see, they rate them by lbs./in., so you'll have to do the conversion.

Their extension springs range from 0.004 lbs/in to 203 lbs/in, so I'm guessing you'll find what you're looking for.

Attachments

• 2019.01.29.springs.for.sale.png
    2019.01.29.springs.for.sale.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 657
Likes scottdave
1634N/m... So a 163kg mass compresses it 1 meter. 81.5 about half a meter. Perhaps in the ball park of the spring on a pogo stick?

What was the question?

CWatters said:
1634N/m... So a 163kg mass
he changed that to 163.427 N/m in his first post :wink:

Likes CWatters

1. What is a spring force constant?

The spring force constant, also known as the spring constant or stiffness coefficient, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It represents the amount of force required to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance.

2. Why is the spring force constant important?

The spring force constant is important because it determines the strength and behavior of a spring. It affects the amount of force a spring can exert, its ability to return to its original shape, and its resonance frequency.

3. How is the spring force constant measured?

The spring force constant is typically measured by applying a known force to a spring and measuring the resulting displacement. The force constant is then calculated by dividing the applied force by the displacement.

4. What is the unit of measurement for spring force constant?

The unit of measurement for spring force constant is Newtons per meter (N/m). This represents the amount of force (in Newtons) required to stretch or compress a spring by one meter.

5. How does a spring force constant of 1634N/m compare to other values?

The spring force constant can vary greatly depending on the type of spring and its dimensions. A value of 1634N/m would fall within the typical range for a medium-stiffness spring. However, it is always important to consider the specific context and application when evaluating the importance of a particular spring force constant.