What's the standard name of this equation so i can look up how to solve it?

• Thread starter bjnartowt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Standard
In summary: In general, the higher the order of the derivative, the more accurate the solution will be. I'm sorry I can't be more help.In summary, this equation is of the form Lg(r,r')=-δ(r-r'), and you'll need to find the proper amount of the jump in the derivative for your problem.
bjnartowt
what's the standard "name" of this equation so i can look up how to solve it?

Homework Statement

Find the solution to

[tex]\left( {\frac{1}{{{r^2}}}\frac{d}{{dr}}\left( {{r^2}\frac{d}{{dr}}} \right) - \frac{{\ell (\ell + 1)}}{{{r^2}}} + {k^2}} \right){g_{k\ell }}(r,r') = - \frac{1}{{{r^2}}}\delta (r - r')[/tex]

subject to the boundary conditions: [tex]{g_{k\ell }}(0,r') = 0{\rm{ and }}{g_{k\ell }}(r,r')\~{\textstyle{1 \over r}}\exp ({\bf{i}}kr){\rm{ for large r}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

see problem statement.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think this is "of the form",
[tex]L{g_{k\ell }}(r,r') = \delta (r - r')[/tex]

...where L is a linear operator. What is the "name" of this equation (e.g., is it an "inhomogeneous linear ODE"?). I need to know the "name" so I can look up the solution method somewhere. (I didn't have the best differential equations course).

***see attached .pdf for LaTeX stuff that got garbled...***

Attachments

• 294 - pr 27 - green function DiffEq.pdf
    16.3 KB · Views: 168
Physics news on Phys.org

Bessel's function in spherical form?

The spherical Bessel functions are the solutions to the homogeneous differential equation with that linear operator. The righthand side is the Dirac delta function in spherical coordinates with the angular dependence integrated out.

As far as equations of the form Lg(r,r')=-δ(r-r'), it looks like that's what you're pretty much learning to solve now. You want to look into the topic of Green's functions.

Hi, thank you for your responses.

Many people are telling me that the solution to this equation is a spherical Bessel function, but I cannot yet believe that. Please see attached .pdf...

Attachments

• green.pdf
    26.6 KB · Views: 208

You might find the post by HallsofIvy in this thread enlightening. He illustrates the general method of finding a Green's function, albeit for a much simpler example.

You'll need to find the proper amount of the jump in the derivative for your problem.

1. What is the standard name of this equation?

The standard name of an equation typically depends on the specific field of science or mathematics it belongs to. It may also have multiple names based on the context in which it is used. It is best to provide the specific equation and context in order to determine its standard name.

2. How can I find the standard name of an equation?

The most reliable way to find the standard name of an equation is by consulting a reputable source such as a textbook, scientific journal, or online database. You can also consult with experts in the field for their insights on the standard name.

3. Does every equation have a standard name?

No, not every equation has a standard name. Some equations may be known by multiple names or may not have a widely accepted standard name. It is important to provide as much information as possible about the equation in order to accurately identify its standard name.

4. Can I solve an equation without knowing its standard name?

Yes, it is possible to solve an equation without knowing its standard name. However, knowing the standard name can provide valuable information about the equation, such as the methods and techniques commonly used to solve it.

5. Is the standard name of an equation the same in every language?

No, the standard name of an equation may vary in different languages. It is important to specify the language when searching for the standard name of an equation in order to get accurate results.