What's the View Like From My New Place?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pictures
In summary, Bear with me, I'm learning how to use my camera phone and I've just e-mailed these to myself from my phone. When I get my SD adaptor hopefully they'll look better.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Bear with me, I'm learning how to use my camera phone and I've just e-mailed these to myself from my phone. When I get my SD adaptor hopefully they'll look better.

This is from my bedroom window
fromhouse4bc2.jpg

From the patio
frompatio1sg6.jpg

From the back door (you can see how quickly the yard drops off into the ravine) this is where I fell and broke my arm
frombackdoorzj5.jpg

This is sitting at my computer
fromcomputerdc5.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks nice! I want to see some squirrel pics!

Math Is Hard said:
Looks nice! I want to see some squirrel pics!
You can see their footprints in the one from my back door, but the Fruit Bat has been in and out so much today that they've been staying away.

Look like a nice area to live.

It's much prettier than the cow pasture I used to live on. :biggrin:

Now if the notagoshawk returns, I can take a picture of it. :devil:

Evo said:
Now if the notagoshawk returns, I can take a picture of it. :devil:
Who/what is notashosgawk ?

EnumaElish said:
Who/what is notashosgawk ?
Ah, the notagoshawk. I saw a HUMONGOUS bird that defies identification, but is definitely in the raptor family, outside of my apartment a few months ago. We were all trying to figure out what it was and a lot of people said it was some type of goshawk. Well, it's not a goshawk. "notagoshawk" <cough> It became a bit of a joke. :uhh: :redface:

I think the last consensus was that it might be a red tailed hawk since they can vary so greatly that not even experts are able to positively identify them.

Last edited:
Evo said:
Bear with me, I'm learning how to use my camera phone and I've just e-mailed these to myself from my phone. When I get my SD adaptor hopefully they'll look better.

This is from my bedroom window

From the patio

From the back door (you can see how quickly the yard drops off into the ravine) this is where I fell and broke my arm

This is sitting at my computer
Nice pics! Nice neighborhood!

You broke your arm when you fell into the ravine?!

Please take pictures of the goshawk (or ferruginous, or red-tailed hawk) when it returns. :biggrin:

The possiblynotagoshawk could have been a hybrid.

How 'bout we call it Evo's Hawk? :approve:

Evo, how are you with flowers/gardening? Seems like a nice area for either.

Astronuc said:
You broke your arm when you fell into the ravine?!
No, I fell just a few feet from the edge. Actually, in hindsight, it was probably a lucky fall, as I had never been outside before and it was dark. If I hadn't fallen, I might have gone right over the edge and seriously hurt myself and the Fruit Bat. Did I mention that I apparently fell on the Fruit Bat and that he suffered a broken toe? Poor little thing never said a word, it wasn't until we had a nail clipping a couple of weeks later that I discovered it.

Please take pictures of the goshawk (or ferruginous, or red-tailed hawk) when it returns. :biggrin:
It HAS to return so I can vindicate myself.

How 'bout we call it Evo's Hawk? :approve:
:approve:

What a nice open area you have to look at. And what is great, you don't need to mow or trim anything!

See the branch that's broken off in the middle second pane down in the window? He was on that angled branch just below the top of that branch, that's where the squirrels charged at him. I had a very clear view of him for the 30 minutes he was there.

goshawkbranchsj5.jpg

Evo said:
See the branch that's broken off in the middle second pane down in the window? He was on that angled branch just below the top of that branch, that's where the squirrels charged at him. I had a very clear view of him for the 30 minutes he was there.

goshawkbranchsj5.jpg
You'll need a closeup of Evo's Hawk so that we can identify it.

Did you observe the bird in the morning or afternoon?

Evo said:
Most my e-mails come from myself :frown:Those pictures are really nice from a phone, and the place, well it looks amazing! I wish it snowed in England! (More than once)

EnumaElish said:
Evo, how are you with flowers/gardening? Seems like a nice area for either.
That is an issue I am going to have to deal with - patio gardening. I have a large stone arch over the patio which looks very cool, but shades everything. I love gardening and I will probably have to install artificial lighting in order to successfully grow vegetables. Astronuc and turbo-1 are guiding me on this. :approve:

hypatia said:
What a nice open area you have to look at. And what is great, you don't need to mow or trim anything!
Heh, you'd think that would have put me out of harms way, instead I break my arm the first day! I have the Evo Child to thank as she spent weeks touring dozens of places to find something that would be right for me.

Astronuc said:
You'll need a closeup of Evo's Hawk so that we can identify it.

Did you observe the bird in the morning or afternoon?
It had to be morning or early afternoon.

CrawfordK said:
Those pictures are really nice from a phone, and the place, well it looks amazing! I wish it snowed in England! (More than once)
It's -12 degrees centigrade here. There is a trade off to getting snow. And thanks, yes, it's lovely here. No one would know I am less than 2 miles from...the Blue Atrocity! https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1542557&postcount=10

Evo said:
That is an issue I am going to have to deal with - patio gardening. I have a large stone arch over the patio which looks very cool, but shades everything. I love gardening and I will probably have to install artificial lighting in order to successfully grow vegetables.
Why not make a spring/summer garden near the outside wall (of your home)? My neighbor grows colorful flowers within a 8' by 2' strip on the outside.

CrawfordK said:
Just why? Please don't say you can see it from your house :yuck:
No, thank goodness I can't see it. It is not harmonious with the surroundings. It makes no sense. I could see it on a playground, perhaps. A playground in a galaxy far, far away. :wink:

Evo said:
No, thank goodness I can't see it. It is not harmonious with the surroundings. It makes no sense. I could see it on a playground, perhaps. A playground in a galaxy far, far away. :wink:

Or maybe the thought left in the creators mind, and the money kept in the tax payers pocket :approve:

Your place looks great Evo!

Evo, nice place. Tell me what this hawk looks like. I am into hawks and falcons (nearly became a falconer) and may be able to identify it. You do live in North America? and what part so I can get a better idea.

He looks hungry. Better find out what notagoshawks eat! :eek:

Evo, you seem to have overlooked my question. Can you tell me some basics. No pic needed. Does it have dark stripes over a light chest? Is its back grey?

Lovely looking home, evo! :smile:
This guy's backyard also ends in a ravine, I wonder if he ever broke his arm climbing down:
http://www.whatheck.com/uploaded_images/island-house-china-797536.jpg

Couldn't be a honey buzzard?

70593269445acd4b860cea.jpg

unless escaped from some zoo. That would also explain why it would be in a populated area.

Wow! That looks beautiful!:smile:

Math Is Hard said:
He looks hungry. Better find out what notagoshawks eat! :eek:
Probably notamourningdoves.

Lets hope Eataevo is not on its list of pray.*

*note to Evo, DON'T OPEN THAT WINDOW!

I always wondered how these threads always change from Evo moving to Evo's hawk.

That hawk was cool. I think I saw it while driving to work the other day about 2 miles from here, but it was too far away to tell.

Did you notice the Asian honey buzzard on the former page?

Andre said:
Did you notice the Asian honey buzzard on the former page?
Yes, it's beautiful. Very similar to what I saw, but my bird's head was a bit rounder and flatter. I'm trying to find the sketch I made of it.

Evo said:
Yes, it's beautiful. Very similar to what I saw, but my bird's head was a bit rounder and flatter. I'm trying to find the sketch I made of it.

That could be because it's a juvenile specimen on the picture. here is a common European buzzard fully grown

01_01_51---Buzzard_web.jpg

But the colors are highly variable:

http://www.dungevalley.co.uk/Birds/buzzard.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Andre said:
That could be because it's a juvenile specimen on the picture. here is a common European buzzard fully grown

01_01_51---Buzzard_web.jpg

But the colors are highly variable:

http://www.dungevalley.co.uk/Birds/buzzard.jpg
That head is more like it. Also, see how the dark and light colors are on the head and no streaks near the eyes? No, if you changed the dark color to charcoal grey, and the light part solid white, you'd have my bird. Oh and give it a beautiful burnt orange on the underside of it's tail.

Wow, the starlings are already here, they're an hour early. Usually the starlings and doves show up to eat at 4pm, like clockwork.

Last edited by a moderator: