What's your favourite chess opening?

• Thread starter AdityaDev
  • Start date
  • Tags
    chess game
In summary, the conversation was about different chess openings and strategies, with some jokes and anecdotes mixed in. The participants discussed their favorite openings, such as the blackmar diemer gambit and the ruy Lopez, as well as their preferred defenses against certain moves. They also talked about different aspects of the game, including coordinates and the importance of sacrifice. Overall, the conversation was lighthearted and informative for those interested in chess.
AdityaDev
I love playing chess. I like playing blackmar diemer gambit and the ruy Lopez as white. As black,against white's e4 I play the Sicilian defense (dragon variation) and against 1.d4 I use Slav defense.
What's your favorite chess opening?
(are my openings good?)

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't played in ages, but back in the day, me and Bobby Fischer liked the Kings Pawn opening (king pawn to king 4). I thought everyone did. Can win in 4 moves with an unsuspecting Defender, you know, moving out that Queen and Bishop, check and checkmate, Matey!

PhanthomJay said:
(king pawn to king 4).
I never figured out what all of those numbers mean. Is it how many points you get for a move or something? For a while, I though that it was part of a coordinate system, but that didn't seem to work out.

Danger said:
I never figured out what all of those numbers mean. Is it how many points you get for a move or something? For a while, I though that it was part of a coordinate system, but that didn't seem to work out.
You're thinking like a mathematician, but yes, it is a coordinate system , rows 1 thru 8 and columns a thru h I think I recall. The pawn in front of the king on e2 moves 2 spaces forward to e4. I think it's written 1.KP: e4(!) where the exclamation point means "great move, Phanthom" ! Over 50 percent of the time you'll win this way, unless you're playing someone a lot better than you. Pawn can just move one space forward after that , and captures diagonally one space, except for the famous 'pawn captures pawn en passant' rule, which you should look up (if you care to that is).

Okay, thanks. I do actually know which way the pieces can move (except that I've never quite figured out "castling"). The coordinates that you mention are what I was thinking of, as opposed to whatever you thought I meant regarding math, but I figured it must be wrong because I had a chess program that happened to come with my old computer and it wouldn't accept if I entered something like b7 as a destination even though that was how the instructions told me to control it. Maybe it was just a defective program. I didn't bother trying to learn more about it because I really don't care for the game. (I always lose because I'm not willing to sacrifice anyone including pawns. It would make me a lousy General in war, but it won us a lot of trophies because the guys and gals that I brought onto my baseball, darts, and pool teams were loyal to the last drop due to knowing that I'd never give up on them even if they sucked once in a while. For over 25 years the name Danger was inextricably bound to the term "rag-tag" and sent shivers down the spines of "jocks". :devil: :biggrin:)

Likes AdityaDev
When my son was five my wife went out of town for several weeks. While she was gone I taught the boy how to play chess and I also taught him how to play poker. After my wife was back in town she visited my son's kindergarten class. The teacher ask if anyone could count to 10. My son raised his hand and when the teach told him to go ahead and count he said: "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. Jack, Queen, King, Ace". My wife was mortified.

Likes Astronuc, AdityaDev and Danger
Queen's gambit with or without a fianchetto when white Sicilian or Slav defense when black.

edward said:
"1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. Jack, Queen, King, Ace". My wife was mortified.
:oldlaugh:
Was he considered redundant for saying "1" and "Ace" in the same string, or was it taken to be an indication of the high/low ambiguity unique to that card value?

Danger said:
:oldlaugh:
Was he considered redundant for saying "1" and "Ace" in the same string, or was it taken to be an indication of the high/low ambiguity unique to that card value?

At that point he only knew that ace was the high card in five card stud.

edI've ard said:
When my son was five my wife went out of town for several weeks. While she was gone I taught the boy how to play chess and I also taught him how to play poker. After my wife was back in town she visited my son's kindergarten class. The teacher ask if anyone could count to 10. My son raised his hand and when the teach told him to go ahead and count he said: "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. Jack, Queen, King, Ace". My wife was mortified.
Best joke I heard this week. But 1 and ace are same. Its ace 2 3 ...

my standard opening is to move the pawn in front of the king 1 space

AdityaDev said:
(are my openings good?)
That depends on how well you can use them, in my limited experience the blackmar diemar gambit can go south VERY easily and frankly I don't see the appeal of sacrifice of two pawns that might give me a greater control of the center, Ruy lopez on the other hand is considerably safer.

Likes AdityaDev

1. What is the best chess opening?

There is no universally agreed upon "best" chess opening. Different players have different preferences and styles, so the best opening for one person may not be the best for another.

2. What is your favourite chess opening?

My favourite chess opening is the Italian Game, also known as the Giuoco Piano. It involves developing the bishop to c4 and controlling the center with pawns. I like it because it allows for a lot of flexibility and potential for attacking.

3. What are the most popular chess openings?

Some of the most popular chess openings include the Sicilian Defense, the Ruy-Lopez, and the Queen's Gambit. These openings have been studied and played by many top level players and have stood the test of time.

4. How do I choose the right chess opening for me?

The best way to choose a chess opening is to experiment and see what works best for your style of play. Try out different openings and see which ones you feel most comfortable with and have the most success with. It's also important to study and understand the ideas and principles behind each opening.

5. Can I use the same chess opening every game?

While it is possible to use the same chess opening every game, it is not recommended. It's important to be versatile and adapt to your opponent's moves. Using the same opening every game can make you predictable and easier for your opponent to counter. It's important to have a variety of openings in your repertoire.