What's your favourite dinosaur?

In summary: TBC).In summary, Triceratops is my favorite dinosaur, I have found fossils a few times but my favorite non-dinosaur extinct creature is probably mammoths, and I would love to travel back in time to see dinosaurs.
Physics news on Phys.org
  1. Triceratops.
  2. Yes, Columbian mammoth bone fragments unearthed by storm in NW Las Vegas, NV.
  3. Mammoths.
  4. No. Read "A Gun for Dinosaur" by L. Sprague Decamp.

My favorite?
1648485578991.png

Not the momma!

1. Triceratops
2. Not sure. Probably some wimpy fossils.
3. Passenger pigeon. They used to darken the sky.
4. Of course.

• Haha
Likes Klystron
berkeman said:
Is that a real dinosaur?
Yes, indeed...Jurassic Park "intuits" behaviors/instincts, but otherwise quite real Cretaceous critter.

Bystander said:
Yes, indeed...Jurassic Park "intuits" behaviors/instincts, but otherwise quite real Cretaceous critter.
Yikes. So the recent post PF about time-traveling dinosaur hunters takes on an extra dimension?

• Haha
Likes Klystron and dlgoff
Bystander said:
{Velociraptor...] Yes, indeed...Jurassic Park "intuits" behaviors/instincts, but otherwise quite real Cretaceous critter.
Except that... (TIL)... they were only the size of a turkey.

Still,... being chased by a murderous turkey, gobble-gobbling for your blood, can be quite scary (so I've been told...) :oldeek:

• Haha
Likes Klystron
Isopod said:
1. Whats your favourite dinosaur?
2. Have you ever found a fossil (dinosaur or otherwise)?
3. Do you have any favourite non-dinosaur extinct creatures?
4. If you could travel back in time to see dinosaurs IRL, would you?
1. Philosoraptor:

Philosoraptor-life-610x610.jpg

2. No. And I haven't been looking for such.

3. Not anyone in particular. There have been many cool species around.

4. Yes. But not when the big asteroid is/was about to hit Earth.

Likes Klystron and Oldman too
Isopod said:
1. The coal industry.
2. Millions of them.
3. Thylacine, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thylacine
4. Only if I could travel forwards again.

Likes BillTre and Klystron
strangerep said:
Still,... being chased by a murderous turkey, gobble-gobbling for your blood, can be quite scary (so I've been told...) :oldeek:
Been there, done that. Don't go around a tom turkey without your turkey bat! By the way have you ever noticed that the Dino on the Jurassic Park book cover and movie posters wasn't from the Jurassic era?
Crichton chose it for effect, not accuracy.

Varies from time to time.

Yes, several, mostly plants or molluscs or crustaceans.

Many.
Here's a good one:
Dickensonia:
Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 9.09.33 AM.png

One of the first metazoan (multicellular) animals that left informative fossils.
It would settle on an algae or bacterial mat (it was a simpler ecosystem back then) and digest what was underneath, leaving a "footprint".

Yes, but I would want to bring back samples and videos.

strangerep said:
Except that... (TIL)... they were only the size of a turkey.
There are several velociraptor-like species. They have different names, but are pretty similar.
Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 9.18.13 AM.png

The first discovered velociraptors were small, but after the first movie the much larger versions were found, like Utahraptor:
It was a heavy-built, ground-dwelling, bipedal carnivore. It contains a single species, Utahraptor ostrommaysi, which is the largest-known member of the family Dromaeosauridae, measuring 23 ft (7.0 m) and weighing 680 kg (1,500 lb).

• Informative
Likes Klystron, Oldman too, Bystander and 1 other person
I love reading all the responses, keep 'em coming!
As for me...

Gotta be T-rex.

Yes quite a few fossils- mostly ammonites, fossil sea sponges, fossil corals and shells.

Koolasuchus 1.jpg

Koolasuchus immediately springs to mind, it was a giant amphibian that survived well into the dinosaur times and lived in the Antarctic Circle when it was a strange polar forest. Its type was already a relic by the dinosaur times but its theorized that it managed to survive in polar forests because while crocodiles had out-competed most of its kind to extinction elsewhere, the cold environment was too cold for crocodiles to survive in.
When I was a kid, it was Walking With Dinosaurs which introduced me to this great prehistoric animal in the Antarctic episode:

I also really like a lot of European Ice Age fauna, such as Cave Bears, Cave Lions, giant wolves and more. Its crazy to think our modern species lived amongst and interacted with so many giant animals! Such a different time in our history.

Only if nothing I did would affect the outcomes of anything, that I could remain safe and return back to the present day when I was done.

BillTre said:
Varies from time to time.

Yes, several, mostly plants or molluscs or crustaceans.

Many.
Here's a good one:
Dickensonia:
View attachment 299090
One of the first metazoan (multicellular) animals that left informative fossils.
It would settle on an algae or bacterial mat (it was a simpler ecosystem back then) and digest what was underneath, leaving a "footprint".

Yes, but I would want to bring back samples and videos.There are several velociraptor-like species. They have different names, but are pretty similar.
View attachment 299091

The first discovered velociraptors were small, but after the first movie the much larger versions were found, like Utahraptor:

I really like Dickinsonia as well. A few years back it was discovered that most Dickinsonia fossils were not true fossils but were instead casts from the animals soft bodies where sediments had filled in cavity spaces left by their bodies. This discovery is now helping people develop a better picture of what the creatures might have looked like (and what exactly we are looking at in the fossils): https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/03/190325130441.htm

Up until 2018, it was still debated whether the creatures were in fact animals, but a discovery of fat molecules in the creatures proved that they were definitely animals beyond all doubt: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/09/180920160954.htm

Likes BillTre
This thread reminds me of some diagrams I created for a different Physics Forums thread, about 10 or 15 years ago or so. Here are the diagrams. You should be able to figure out the context -- they're pretty self-explanatory.

Slide1.png

Slide2.png

Slide3.png

Likes Oldman too

1. What is your favourite dinosaur?

As a scientist, I don't have a personal favourite dinosaur. However, I am fascinated by all types of dinosaurs and their unique characteristics.

2. What is the most popular dinosaur?

The most popular dinosaur can vary depending on different factors, such as media exposure and current research. However, some of the most well-known and popular dinosaurs include Tyrannosaurus rex, Velociraptor, and Triceratops.

3. What is the biggest dinosaur?

The biggest dinosaur known to date is the Argentinosaurus, estimated to have been about 100 feet long and weighed up to 100 tons. However, new discoveries are constantly being made, so this may change in the future.

4. Are there any dinosaurs still alive today?

No, all dinosaurs went extinct about 65 million years ago. However, some of their modern-day descendants include birds and crocodiles.

5. How do scientists know what dinosaurs looked like?

Scientists use various methods to reconstruct the appearance of dinosaurs, such as studying their fossilized bones, comparing them to living animals, and using computer models. They also take into account factors like diet, habitat, and evolutionary relationships to make educated guesses about a dinosaur's appearance.