What's your opinion of a Math without Reals?

• Thread starter TheDemx27
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Crackpot
In summary, Norman Wildberger is a mathematician who is against the use of real numbers in mathematics. He believes that only rational numbers should be used and is trying to create an alternative to analysis that follows this principle. While his criticisms of the ambiguity of infinity and the use of real numbers may be valid, they have already been addressed in the past. Wildberger's ideas are not new and have been discussed by mathematicians such as Leopold Kronecker. However, his work may have value in terms of how we teach mathematics. Ultimately, the debate on the use of real numbers is ongoing and there are different perspectives on the issue.
SW VandeCarr said:
Maybe, but how do you deny the continuum?

Probably by coming up with an overly complicated scheme to replace it and claiming that anyone who doesn't agree with it has been indoctrinated?

Proof by intimidation!

-Dave K

Likes Logical Dog
Mathematics news on Phys.org
dkotschessaa said:
Probably by coming up with an overly complicated scheme to replace it and claiming that anyone who doesn't agree with it has been indoctrinated?

Proof by intimidation!

-Dave K

Welcome to the family :shady:

SW VandeCarr said:
Maybe, but how do you deny the continuum?

Why would you accept it? It's not a real thing, but it's mathematical fiction. It's a very useful fiction, but there is no proof it's real.

dkotschessaa said:
Proof by intimidation!

Is that like "alternative facts"?

-

micromass said:
Why would you accept it? It's not a real thing, but it's mathematical fiction. It's a very useful fiction, but there is no proof it's real.

True. But can you do serious mathematics without the continuum?

SW VandeCarr said:

Combinatorics, number theory, graph theory. Sure! :woot:

SW VandeCarr said:

Sure. But it'll look a lot more complicated and tedious. I wouldn't recommend it. I would never do away with the continuum. But I am also very sympathetic to finitist attempts of trying to do everything with finite sets.

Wildberger says at around 11:28 that even if you were to build the most powerful computational machine you would not be able to compute a given large natural number and then draws the conclusion or raises the question that such a large number might not exist. I object there. This is not a proof of the natural numbers being finite. It is only proof of the computational limitation of our current computational technology. Even at 12:18 he says "It does not have a prime factorization. It depends on our computational machines". I believe that he limits the universe to the possible maximal theoretical computational power that one can imagine. This is nonsense.

I do agree with him that we have problems with capturing intuitive notions like infinity within our definitions, but then again this is a limitation of the current human mind/articulation/language and not a proof whether a set of number is finite or infinite. I think these issues are there because one tried to formalize mathematics within a set of postulates and deduce the rest from it. But is this what mathematics is? What is even mathematics? To some it is a formal language; to others the language of explaining theories within sciences; to others it is a thought science. Has mathematics ever been defined concretely? If yes someone please enlighten me to what it is.

Simpl0S said:
Wildberger says at around 11:28 that even if you were to build the most powerful computational machine you would not be able to compute a given large natural number and then draws the conclusion or raises the question that such a large number might not exist. I object there. This is not a proof of the natural numbers being finite. It is only proof of the computational limitation of our current computational technology. Even at 12:18 he says "It does not have a prime factorization. It depends on our computational machines". I believe that he limits the universe to the possible maximal theoretical computational power that one can imagine. This is nonsense.

It's only nonsense if you think there is a unique mathematics and a unique logic. That isn't so. A finitist's math is just another interpretation of mathematics than the standard one. It's completely valid and has his merits and downsides. Declaring something to be nonsense is very dangerous.

Simpl0S said:

I do agree with him that we have problems with capturing intuitive notions like infinity within our definitions, but then again this is a limitation of the current human mind/articulation/language and not a proof whether a set of number is finite or infinite. I think these issues are there because one tried to formalize mathematics within a set of postulates and deduce the rest from it. But is this what mathematics is? What is even mathematics? To some it is a formal language; to others the language of explaining theories within sciences; to others it is a thought science. Has mathematics ever been defined concretely? If yes someone please enlighten me to what it is.

There is a lot of math that is increasingly driven by computation, so perhaps for that type of mathematics, his perspective is valid. I think people should absolutely be able to do this kind of work and see where it takes them. I don't agree with the more divisive aspects of it, or saying that the existing mathematics is wrong and needs to be overturned.

-Dave K

micromass said:
It's only nonsense if you think there is a unique mathematics and a unique logic. That isn't so. A finitist's math is just another interpretation of mathematics than the standard one. It's completely valid and has his merits and downsides. Declaring something to be nonsense is very dangerous.

I think I expressed myself in the wrong way or you misunderstood me. I did not mean to draw a conclusion whether the view of finite or infinite is the correct one. I did not mean to say "finitist's math is nonsense". I meant his justification as that the natural numbers are finite is nonsense. I do not know which view is the "correct" one I am open to both, even though I prefer the infinite one. I hope this clarifies it.

micromass said:

Unfortunately Wildberger seems to think all other perspectives *are* nonsense, and I think this is where the derision comes in. He doesn't seem to allow for both.

He seems to be trying to inspire a new generation of non-indoctrinated students to carry on his work. If they do, let's hope they do a better job presenting it.

-Dave K