Wheatstone Bridge Strain Gauge Question

In summary, you measure the voltage between two opposite points, let's say "North" and "South" if your bridge has the diamond configuration. And you apply a voltage from "West" to "East". On the South bridge, you have two known resistors. On the North, you have one known resistor and one unknown resistor(the strain gage). You can solve for the unknown resistor using the known resistors and voltages. And at this point, once I get my scanner working, I'll scan in my notes on it.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

I recently did a bending lab with a WB Strain Gauge in a bunch of different configurations.

One measurement in particular is bothering me. Referring to the figure below, there are four strain gauges, Yellow, Orange, Black and Red mounted to a cantilevered beam with an applied loading 'P.'

I had the data acquisition system output a measurement for a Half-Bridge configuration in which R1 = RYellow and R2 = ROrange

We can see from the figure that both of the gauges are in tension. So why is the strain measurement that I got negative? It is effectively taking the strain measured from the yellow gauge and subtracting it from the strain ,measured from the orange gauge. Why does it do that? What exactly is this quantifying?
bridge.jpg

Thanks,
Casey

Also: I thought maybe I screwed this up, but the Lab Assistant had all of the 'approximate expected strains' and mine matched up pretty well.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you said your strain "number" is correct and your "sign" is wrong, my first guess is to check your resistance to strain formula.

Classically, this would be (R_strained-R_original)/(R/original*Gage Factor).

Reversing the R_original and R_strained in the numerator would produce the same result, only negative.

Harry Hazard said:
Since you said your strain "number" is correct and your "sign" is wrong, my first guess is to check your resistance to strain formula.

Classically, this would be (R_strained-R_original)/(R/original*Gage Factor).

Reversing the R_original and R_strained in the numerator would produce the same result, only negative.

Hey there :smile: Thanks for having a look, but just to clarify:

I never said that my sign was wrong. I just don't understand what is being measured here. Why does the half bridge take one measurement and subtract it from the other? What does that get me?

Thanks!

Oops! I misread that. :D

You measure the voltage between two opposite points, let's say "North" and "South" if your bridge has the diamond configuration. And you apply a voltage from "West" to "East". On the South bridge, you have two known resistors. On the North, you have one known resistor and one unknown resistor(the strain gage). You can solve for the unknown resistor using the known resistors and voltages. And at this point, once I get my scanner working, I'll scan in my notes on it. lol

I would say that the negative value you obtained in your Half-Bridge configuration is a result of the Wheatstone Bridge circuit and how it measures strain. The Wheatstone Bridge is designed to measure the difference in resistance between two arms of the bridge, in this case the yellow and orange gauges. When the strain gauges are in tension, their resistance increases and the bridge circuit will output a positive voltage. However, since you have configured the bridge to subtract the yellow gauge's strain from the orange gauge's strain, the resulting voltage will be negative. This negative value is still quantifying the strain in the beam, but it is just a matter of how the Wheatstone Bridge circuit is designed to measure it. In this case, a negative value indicates tension in both gauges, while a positive value would indicate compression in one gauge and tension in the other. I hope this helps clarify the results you obtained in your lab.

Related to Wheatstone Bridge Strain Gauge Question

1. What is a Wheatstone Bridge Strain Gauge?

A Wheatstone Bridge Strain Gauge is a type of sensor used to measure changes in strain or deformation of an object. It consists of a small strip of metal called a strain gauge, which is attached to the object being measured. As the object is strained, the resistance of the strain gauge changes, allowing for the measurement of strain.

2. How does a Wheatstone Bridge Strain Gauge work?

A Wheatstone Bridge Strain Gauge works by balancing two sets of resistors, one of which includes the strain gauge. When the object being measured is under strain, the resistance of the strain gauge changes, throwing off the balance of the bridge. This change in resistance can then be measured and converted into a strain value.

3. What are the applications of Wheatstone Bridge Strain Gauges?

Wheatstone Bridge Strain Gauges have a wide range of applications in engineering and science. They are commonly used in load cells to measure weight and force, in pressure sensors to measure changes in pressure, and in structural analysis to monitor the strain on buildings and bridges. They are also used in medical devices, such as blood pressure monitors, and in industrial machinery.

4. What are the advantages of using Wheatstone Bridge Strain Gauges?

One of the main advantages of Wheatstone Bridge Strain Gauges is their high sensitivity to changes in strain. They can accurately measure very small changes in strain, making them useful for a variety of applications. They are also relatively simple and inexpensive to construct, and can be easily integrated into electronic systems for data collection and analysis.

5. Are there any limitations to using Wheatstone Bridge Strain Gauges?

While Wheatstone Bridge Strain Gauges are useful for many applications, they do have some limitations. They are sensitive to temperature changes, so they may need to be calibrated or adjusted in extreme temperature conditions. They also require a power source, and their accuracy can be affected by factors such as electrical noise or fatigue of the strain gauge material over time.