Wheelchair access to a shower bench?

• Thread starter barryj
  • Start date
In summary, the maximum depth, d , of the bench that will allow the wheelchair to fully enter the shower stall is x^2 + y^2 = r^2. The constraints that the wheelchair will run into include the door opening being 36 inches wide and the wall to the left of the shower not being flush with the entry. Additionally, the footrests must be able to pass under the bench and the shower head and controls are on the left or right of the drawing.
Baluncore said:
2. Then, when completely in the space, you turn the remaining 45°.
If the shower stall is 36" x 72" as shown in the diagram, there is a noticable problem. The diagonal measure of the wheelchair is 48" so turning it around in the shower is not possible. :cry:

For a different approach look at:
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/31dT86eGSmL._AC_.jpg

Which is available at:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001KNNWYW/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Cheers,
Tom

• Informative
Likes berkeman
Engineering news on Phys.org
Tom.G said:
The diagonal measure of the wheelchair is 48" so turning it around in the shower is not possible.
The chair is passing along a bent passage way. The rear RHS corner of the chair is in the doorway. It does not need to turn around. It comes out backwards.
The left-hand wall outside the entrance to the passage now precludes my original analysis.

I made a scale model of the situation. The chair will have to rotate as it enters the 36x72 space and it will do so. The cutout on the wall is not necessary it seems. While using a model works, I still do not have a precise answer of how deep the bench can be. Looks like 16 inches, maybe a bit longer. Tough problem.

DaveC426913 said:
It can with an ideal wheelchair. In particular, the location of the wheels would have to be on the very corners of the device and be of zero size. But that will have no bearing on any real scenario.
Wheelchairs come in a variety of sizes and skilled users can do all sorts of things with them but the OP will need to cater for all possibilities; self drive or 'pushed' could be required. To save a lot of hassle, it would probably be best to see what's available from suppliers and base a bespoke design on that.
The best way to approach this problem is probably not to spend too much initial time on calculations and geometry - pity but it's probably true. @anorlunda 's point about insurance and regulations is very relevant. You might find it worth while to approach the 'department of free advice' in the guise of a couple professional installers with records of good work.

Good luck with the project and congrats on being so forward thinking.

To be honest, getting the wheelchair into the shower was my first issue. Now we have a general problem of in this case how deep can a bench be if a piece of say plywood 25X42 inches had to be slid into the shower. Like I said, I made a model and using my fingers carefully slid the plywood into the shower. However, I still do not know how to calculate the precise distance the bench depth can be made. The plywood when entering the shower area must undergo a translation and rotation to get it in. Not sure how to calculate thie.

barryj said:
Not sure how to calculate thie.
I have been looking at a two-phase numerical solution.

Phase 1. The chair back left corner follows the left wall outside the shower, while the RHS slides along the door post on the right of the entry. During that progress, the front left corner of the chair traces a line on the floor.

Phase 2. The chair front left corner follows the back wall of the shower, while the RHS slides along the door post. During that progress, the rear left corner of the chair traces a line on the floor.

The two lines on the floor mark the boundary of the area needed by the chair, outside which can be the shelf.

Likes Tom.G
I think this plan will work. So as the bottom left corner moves up the read shower wall, the perpendicular
distance between the shower top left corner and the chair edge must be calculated. Once a closed form expression is obtained the distance can be calculated using differentiation. Or something like this...

barryj said:
Once a closed form expression is obtained the distance can be calculated using differentiation. Or something like this...
Not mathematically continuous, but numerically in many small discrete steps.

Not sure I agree with you. During phase 1, as the corner moves up against the back wall, I bet you could calculate the distance as a function of x, the distance the corner moved.. I will try sometime today.

barryj said:
During phase 1, as the corner moves up against the back wall, ...
"The corner" is meaningless, there are four of them. Which corner, FL, FR, BL, BR.

The FL does not reach the back wall of the shower during phase 1, because there is sufficient space to turn through 90 degrees. That is why there must be two phases. The functions are not continuous, but each has two bounds, beyond which each analysis fails.

It would be easier to hang a shower curtain than build a wall.

Notice that both the opening and the shower stall are 36" wide.
The problem is numerically symmetrical about the diagonal axis.

• Informative
Likes DaveC426913
I have a messy solution that gives the locus of the front left corner of the chair as it enters the space. The back left corner of the chair follows the wall on the left. The RHS of the chair slides on the door post. The yellow locus assumes a full 90° turn, with no shelf to obstruct the back left corner.
Phase 1 ends when the chair has moved and rotated to 45°, it slides forward, parallel with the shelf until the front left corner hits the back wall. That is where phase 2 begins.

The magenta line is the maximum shelf size, 33" along each wall.

Front_Left_Locus.png

I agree with your calculations. I did a simulation using a cutout of the shower footprint and moving it as you did and get the same plot. The dots agree with your calculation. So it seems I can have a 19 inch bench. Good!.
img263.jpg