When a bird flies into a bar; solving for angular velocity

In summary, a 550.0g bird flying at 2.20m/s collides with a stationary vertical bar, hitting it 25.0cm below the top. The bar, with a mass of 2.20kg and length of 0.730m, is hinged at its base. Using the equations for kinetic energy and moment of inertia, the angular velocity of the bar just after the collision is 1.486 rad/s.
tylertwh

Homework Statement

A 550.0g bird is flying horizontally at 2.20m/s , not paying much attention, when it suddenly flies into a stationary vertical bar, hitting it 25.0cm below the top. The bar is uniform, 0.730m long, has a mass of 2.20kg , and is hinged at its base. The collision stuns the bird so that it just drops to the ground afterward (but soon recovers to fly happily away).

0.55 kg = mass of bird
2.2 m/s = velocity of bird
0.48 m = distance from axis of rotation bird hits bar
0.73 m = length of bar
2.2 kg = mass of bar

A)What is the angular velocity of the bar just after it is hit by the bird?

B)What is the angular velocity of the bar just as it reaches the ground?

Homework Equations

KE(bird) = (1/2)mv2
KE(bar) = (1/2)Iω2
I(bar) = (1/3)mr2

The Attempt at a Solution

(1/2)mv2 = (1/6)mr2ω2
ω = 2.75
INCORRECT

For part B I can't solve until I have the answer to part A

Physics news on Phys.org
I found my mistake for part A.

The answer to part A is 1.486

1. How does the angular velocity of a bird flying into a bar affect its trajectory?

The angular velocity of a bird flying into a bar refers to the rate at which the bird is rotating around its axis. This can affect the bird's trajectory by causing it to veer off course or change direction as it enters the bar.

2. What factors contribute to the angular velocity of a bird flying into a bar?

The angular velocity of a bird flying into a bar can be influenced by several factors, such as the bird's speed, size, and wing shape. The angle at which the bird enters the bar and any external forces, such as wind, can also affect its angular velocity.

3. How can we calculate the angular velocity of a bird flying into a bar?

The angular velocity of a bird flying into a bar can be calculated by dividing the bird's angular displacement (the change in its angle) by the time it takes to complete that displacement. The formula is: angular velocity = angular displacement / time.

4. How does the angular velocity of a bird flying into a bar compare to that of a bird flying in open space?

The angular velocity of a bird flying into a bar is typically higher than that of a bird flying in open space. This is because the bird must navigate through a smaller space and make more adjustments to avoid obstacles, resulting in a higher angular velocity.

5. Can the angular velocity of a bird flying into a bar be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, the angular velocity of a bird flying into a bar can be controlled or manipulated by adjusting the bird's speed, angle of entry, or external forces acting on the bird. However, it is also influenced by the bird's natural instincts and abilities, so complete control may not be possible.