When anti-matter and matter collide are they destroyed?

In summary: Therefore, according to the law of conservation, matter can be destroyed. In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of matter and energy being created or destroyed. While at a basic level, it is taught that matter cannot be created or destroyed, at a more advanced level, it is possible for matter to be destroyed in certain situations. This may be different from what is taught in school textbooks and by teachers, but it is necessary to understand when discussing more complex topics.
Karimspencer
When anti-matter and matter collide , they say they both annihilate however isn't it known according to the law of conservation that matter can't be created nor destroyed.
This confuses me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Energy can't be created or destroyed, matter can (it can turn into energy).

Energy, and by extension mass, cannot be created or destroyed, only moved around. Matter can and is destroyed all the time.

OH! My physics teacher told me that atoms may not be created or destroyed and so does my school textbook.

Karimspencer said:
OH! My physics teacher told me that atoms may not be created or destroyed and so does my school textbook.

At the level you are being thought, that is accurate. But here, you are trying to play with the Big Boys. The rules may be different, and injuries are common.

Zz.

Karimspencer said:

I don't know what grade you are in, but I'd guess that your book and teacher are either just plain wrong, or are just keeping things simple. An atom is a composite particle, meaning that it is made up of smaller particles, specifically the Proton, Neutron, and Electron for atoms in normal matter. It is entirely possible to change an atom and even take it apart completely in certain situations, thus rendering it no longer an atom.

1. What is anti-matter and how does it differ from matter?

Anti-matter is the opposite form of matter, with the same mass but opposite charge. For example, the anti-particle of an electron is called a positron, which has a positive charge instead of a negative charge like an electron.

2. What happens when anti-matter and matter collide?

When anti-matter and matter collide, they annihilate each other and release a large amount of energy in the form of gamma rays. This process is known as annihilation.

3. Can anti-matter and matter be created or destroyed?

No, according to the law of conservation of energy, matter and anti-matter cannot be created or destroyed. They can only be converted into other forms of energy.

4. Is there any practical application for anti-matter?

Currently, there is no practical application for anti-matter. However, scientists are studying anti-matter to better understand the fundamental laws of the universe.

5. How is anti-matter produced?

Anti-matter can be produced through high-energy collisions, such as those that occur in particle accelerators. It can also be naturally produced in certain radioactive decays.