When does a Taylor's Series not converge to its original function?

In summary: This is a very unusual property of a function to have a Taylor series that converges for all ##x## but not equals the function on some interval. There are other examples of this type of function but they are very strange indeed.In summary, a Taylor series may not converge to its original function if the point being evaluated is outside the radius of convergence or if the function is not defined at that point. Additionally, there are rare cases where the Taylor series may converge to 0 for all values of x, but only equals the function at the point of expansion.
dawn_pingpong

Homework Statement

When does a Taylor's Series not converge to its original function? the commonly given example is
[tex]e^\frac{-1}{x^2}[/tex]
But I really don't get how it works... For example if we find the series around the point x=1, then

http://www4a.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP75061a390i474cg906c800004hhd9d3497i4fa6h?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=58&w=865&h=29

This is the series right? However, but then the value at the point x=0 is undefined, as the denominator x cannot be zero? I really don't understand how this thing works. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe a simpler example is:
[itex]\frac{1}{1-x}[/itex] = [itex]\sum x^{n}[/itex]

if you take x=1.1

the sum doesn't converge at all, but f(1.1)=1/(1-1.1)=-10

In this case, the point is outside the sums radius of convergence which is (-1,1)

If you try f(1), f(1) isn't defined. If the function isn't defined at a point, then we shouldn't expect to find its taylor series converging there. I think about this in the following way. If we have an expression for f(x)=T(x) its taylor polynomial. And it was converging at places where f(x) isn't defined (such as 1/0) then we would have a way of finding 1/0.

For example: if we have the taylor series for f(x)=1/x as T(x). And we find T(0) converges to a number, say L, we would have a representation of 1/0=L.

These are 2 of the things that can happen, I'm not sure what else.

And looking at your taylor series it doesn't look quite right to me.

It should be something like f(x)=f(a)+f'(a)/1!(x-a)+f''(a)/2!(x-a)^2+...

I don't think you should have 1/x, 1/x^2 etc. taylor series (that I've seen) don't use 1/x 1/x^2 etc.

Also if you're expanding around 1 you should have (x-1), (x-1)^2, ... terms

Last edited:
dawn_pingpong said:

Homework Statement

When does a Taylor's Series not converge to its original function? the commonly given example is
[tex]e^\frac{-1}{x^2}[/tex]
But I really don't get how it works... For example if we find the series around the point x=1, then

http://www4a.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP75061a390i474cg906c800004hhd9d3497i4fa6h?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=58&w=865&h=29

This is the series right? However, but then the value at the point x=0 is undefined, as the denominator x cannot be zero? I really don't understand how this thing works. Thank you!

Your Wolfram Alpha link didn't work. (By the way, don't put IMG tags around web links.)

The function [itex]e^{-1/x^2}[/itex] is undefined at [itex]x = 0[/itex], but its limit is zero as [itex]x \rightarrow 0[/itex], so the correct function to use is in fact
[tex]
g(x) = \begin{cases}
e^{-1/x^2} & \text{if }x \neq 0 \\
0 & \text{if }x = 0
\end{cases}
[/tex]
This function has the property that [itex]g^{(n)}(0) = 0[/itex] for all [itex]n[/itex], so the Taylor series around [itex]x = 0[/itex] is identically zero. [itex]x = 0[/itex] is the only problematic point; if you expand the series around [itex]x = 1[/itex], the series will converge to [itex]g(x)[/itex] in any interval not containing 0.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to add a little to the already written comments. A Taylor series for a function ##f## having all derivatives about the point ##x=a##$$
\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{f^{(n)}(a)}{n!}(x-a)^n$$always converges when ##x=a## to the function's value ##f(a)##. The real question is what about ##x## not at the expansion point ##a##. One example showed that ##f(x)## may fail to equal it's series at a value of ##x## because the series fails to converge there. That happens when ##x## is beyond the radius of convergence distance from ##a##. But in the second example you have a function ##f(x)## having all orders of derivatives at ##x=0## where the Taylor series not only converges to 0 for all ##x## but even all the partial sums are all 0. Yet the Taylor series in this case equals the function only at ##x=0##. Why this is interesting is because here we have an infinitely smooth function whose Taylor series converges for all ##x## but doesn't equal ##f(x)## anywhere but ##x=0##, its expansion point.

Related to When does a Taylor's Series not converge to its original function?

1. What is a Taylor's Series?

A Taylor's Series is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms, allowing for the approximation of a function through a polynomial expression.

2. When does a Taylor's Series not converge?

A Taylor's Series does not converge when the function it is approximating is not analytic, meaning it is not infinitely differentiable at every point within its domain.

3. Can a Taylor's Series converge to a function other than the original?

Yes, a Taylor's Series can converge to a different function if the original function is not analytic or if the series is truncated to a finite number of terms.

4. How can I tell if a Taylor's Series will converge to the original function?

A Taylor's Series will converge to the original function if the function is analytic and the series is evaluated at a point within the function's radius of convergence.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the convergence of a Taylor's Series?

Yes, the order of the derivative at the point of evaluation, the number of terms used in the series, and the size of the radius of convergence can all affect the convergence of a Taylor's Series.