When is algebraic multiplicity = geometric multiplicity?

In summary, in Linear Algebra, we learned about Eigenvalues and Diagonalizations. A matrix is diagonalizable if its eigenbasis has n linearly independent vectors. The algebraic multiplicities equal the geometric multiplicities exactly when the matrix is diagonalizable. However, there is no general criterion for determining this and just looking at the matrix is usually not enough. The spectral theorem states that a real symmetric matrix is always diagonalizable, but there is no easy generalization for any diagonalizable matrix. There is also no known algorithm that is more efficient than Gaussian Elimination for determining if a matrix is diagonalizable.
Boorglar
In my last Linear Algebra class we saw Eigenvalues and Diagonalizations. It turns out that an n x n matrix is diagonalizable if its eigenbasis has n linearly independent vectors.

If the characteristic equation for the matrix is [itex] (λ - λ_1)^{e_1}(λ - λ_2)^{e_2}...(λ - λ_k)^{e_k} = 0 [/itex] then 1) eigenspaces corresponding to different eigenvalues are linearly independent and 2) the dimension of the eigenspace corresponding to [itex]λ_i ≤ e_i [/itex]. That is, the algebraic multiplicity of the eigenvalue is greater than or equal to the geometric multiplicity.

But is there a general criterion for telling when algebraic and geometric multiplicities are equal? Given a concrete matrix, I can use Gaussian elimination to solve for the eigenvectors, but is there a more general way of dealing with this problem simply by looking at the form of the matrix?

EDIT: If I remember, there was something about real symmetric matrices but I forgot some of the theorems.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The algebraic multiplicities equal the geometric multiplicities exactly when the matrix is diagonalizable. So you're searching for a criterion to decide whether a matrix is diagonalizable or not. To my knowledge, just looking at the matrix usually does not suffice. So such a criterion does not exist.

The theorem you mention is the very important spectral theorem. This is one theorem where it's easy to see that a matrix is diagonalizable. Indeed, is a matrix is real symmetric, then it is diagonalizable. So in that case, we can always infer that the algebraic multiplicities equal the geometric multiplicities. But to my knowledge, there is no easy generalization of the spectral theorem that works for any diagonalizable matrix.

Oh well that's too bad. Still, is there an algorithm (which may involve operations on the matrix) more efficient than Gaussian Elimination to determine if a matrix is diagonalizable or not?

1. What is algebraic multiplicity and geometric multiplicity?

Algebraic multiplicity refers to the number of times a particular eigenvalue appears as a root of the characteristic polynomial of a matrix. Geometric multiplicity, on the other hand, refers to the number of linearly independent eigenvectors associated with a particular eigenvalue.

2. When is algebraic multiplicity equal to geometric multiplicity?

Algebraic multiplicity is equal to geometric multiplicity when all the eigenvectors associated with a particular eigenvalue are linearly independent. In other words, when the dimension of the eigenspace corresponding to an eigenvalue is equal to the number of times that eigenvalue appears as a root of the characteristic polynomial.

3. What happens when algebraic multiplicity is greater than geometric multiplicity?

In this case, the eigenspace associated with that eigenvalue will have more dimensions than the number of times that eigenvalue appears as a root of the characteristic polynomial. This means that there will be some redundancy in the eigenvectors, and not all of them will be linearly independent.

4. Can algebraic multiplicity be less than geometric multiplicity?

No, algebraic multiplicity cannot be less than geometric multiplicity. This is because the number of times an eigenvalue appears as a root of the characteristic polynomial cannot be less than the number of linearly independent eigenvectors associated with that eigenvalue.

5. Why is it important to understand the difference between algebraic and geometric multiplicity?

Understanding the difference between algebraic and geometric multiplicity is important in linear algebra because it helps us to determine the diagonalizability of a matrix. If the algebraic and geometric multiplicities are equal for all eigenvalues, then the matrix is diagonalizable, which makes it easier to work with in various applications.