When is it worthwhile to retake a class?

In summary, the individual is a freshman at an elite university, majoring in engineering physics with hopes of attending grad school in applied physics. They received a C- in their multivariable calc and linear algebra course, which may negatively impact their GPA. They believe they have learned the material and could easily get a better grade if they retake the course, but are unsure if it's worth it or if it will affect their chances of getting into a good masters or PhD program. They also mention that at their university, retaking a course does not remove the prior instance from their transcript. They seek advice on what to do in this situation.
Nova9
I'm a freshman who just finished their first semester at (insert elite university that I don't want to namedrop here), and I am an engineering physics major with a hope to one day do grad school in applied physics at a similar school. Anyway, due to the almost non-existence of a curve and the rough transition from high school to college I ended up with a C- in my multivariable calc and linear algebra course (it is one class), which although passing probably won't look good and made a damper on my GPA (as it is more than 25% of my current unit count at the moment). Despite this I feel as if I really did learn the material (granted most of my ah-ha moments didn't happen until it was too late), so I could probably easily get a very good grade this time around, but I could also move on and take more advanced classes and not have to overload on units down the line. However, obviously I don't want this one grade to keep me from getting into a good masters or PhD program down the line, or prevent me from doing research this or next summer. I would appreciate any advice I could get - thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Nova9 said:
I'm a freshman who just finished their first semester at (insert elite university that I don't want to namedrop here), and I am an engineering physics major with a hope to one day do grad school in applied physics at a similar school. Anyway, due to the almost non-existence of a curve and the rough transition from high school to college I ended up with a C- in my multivariable calc and linear algebra course (it is one class), which although passing probably won't look good and made a damper on my GPA (as it is more than 25% of my current unit count at the moment). Despite this I feel as if I really did learn the material (granted most of my ah-ha moments didn't happen until it was too late), so I could probably easily get a very good grade this time around, but I could also move on and take more advanced classes and not have to overload on units down the line. However, obviously I don't want this one grade to keep me from getting into a good masters or PhD program down the line, or prevent me from doing research this or next summer. I would appreciate any advice I could get - thank you :)
Taking a course multiple times does not remove prior instances from your transcript.

Jaeusm said:
Taking a course multiple times does not remove prior instances from your transcript.
At my school I read on the website that it replaces the prior time with an RP or RT or something meaning that it was retaken or replaced

Nova9 said:
At my school I read on the website that it replaces the prior time with an RP or RT or something meaning that it was retaken or replaced
I suppose it may vary from university to university. When I was in school, I was in a situation my freshman year similar to the one you've described. I retook a chemistry class, but it did not replace the initial occurrence on the actual transcript. However, it didn't make any difference in the long run.

It varies between universities - at mine, you could retake a course and your first grade would not be factored into your GPA (although some grad schools re-calculate your GPA based on their own criteria)

If you learned the material move on. One C isn't going to kill you, just make sure you also learned how to keep up with your coursework so it isn't a reoccurring event.

Likes symbolipoint

1. Should I retake a class if I received a low grade?

It depends on the specific circumstances of your situation. If the low grade is severely impacting your overall GPA or if the class is a prerequisite for future courses, then it may be worthwhile to retake the class. However, if the low grade is not significantly affecting your academic progress, it may not be necessary to retake the class.

2. Is it worth the time and effort to retake a class?

Again, this depends on your individual circumstances. Consider the amount of time and effort you will need to put into retaking the class and weigh it against the potential benefits. If the class is crucial for your future academic or career goals, then it may be worth the time and effort. However, if the class is not directly related to your interests or goals, it may not be worthwhile to retake it.

3. Can retaking a class improve my GPA?

Yes, retaking a class can improve your GPA if you receive a higher grade the second time around. However, it is important to note that most schools have a policy that only the higher grade will be counted towards your GPA, not the average of both grades. It is also important to consider the time and effort required to retake the class and whether it will significantly impact your overall GPA.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks to retaking a class?

One potential drawback is the additional time and cost required to retake the class. Additionally, if you have already received credit for the class, retaking it may not have any impact on your transcript or GPA. It is also important to consider whether the class will be offered again in the future and if you have the option to take a different class instead.

5. How many times should I retake a class?

This varies based on individual circumstances and the policies of your school. Some schools have limits on the number of times a class can be retaken, while others do not. It is important to consider the potential benefits and drawbacks of each retake and whether it is the most efficient use of your time and resources.