When to tell your boss your quitting if they're busy all day

• Thread starter Hodgey8806
  • Start date
In summary, tell your boss as soon as possible so that he can plan for your departure. Make sure to do it in a way that is polite and leaves your boss with the impression that you are grateful for the opportunity you have been given.
Hodgey8806
I received a job offer I'm accepting, but my boss has been out of town this last week. Understandably, he is swamped today, but I have to tell him for the two weeks notice. So, my question is when should I tell him? At the first free moment?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I vote first thing.

Say "Welcome back! I quit!"

Wait! Maybe be more diplomatic than that. . .

Hodgey8806 said:
I received a job offer I'm accepting, but my boss has been out of town this last week. Understandably, he is swamped today, but I have to tell him for the two weeks notice. So, my question is when should I tell him? At the first free moment?

Thanks!
do you guys use outlook. Setup a 15 minute appointment at the first available time to tell him. Unless he is swamped for emergencies (ex. angry customers, external meetings, etc). You can do the formal stuff later

Yes, first thing. For something like this you need to interrupt him, not just wait for a free moment.

Also, it will be good to follow-up with an e-mail to get a recorded date and time for the notification.

Likes TheCanadian
Usually you're supposed to give notice like this in writing, so prepare a letter.

Beyond that I would book some time to tell you boss face to face. Email him and tell him that you need to meet with him by a certain date. If he is unavailable in that time frame, you should at least tell his designate (the person looking after the shop while he is away). Either way book a specific meeting so that you're not trying to slide the matter in on top of something else.

Likes DEvens
Choppy said:
Usually you're supposed to give notice like this in writing, so prepare a letter.
I think it depends on the job. If I am working at McDonald's I'm not writing a resignation letter :)

Likes symbolipoint
Why you got to kick McDonald's when they are down?? ;)

Likes TheCanadian, CalcNerd and Greg Bernhardt
The resignation letter is good. Usually it needs a signed paper copy. Putting this signed copy on your boss's desk is usually acceptable. Though sending an email in addition is ok. Include the date. Keep it short and professional.

Just keep in mind when you quit: One day you might want to come back to this place. And one day the company you are going to might do business with the company you are leaving.

No matter the feelings you may have had, a pleasant exit is not expensive and may get you a lot in terms of good will later.

Likes CalcNerd and lingesh
Just keep in mind when you quit: One day you might want to come back to this place. And one day the company you are going to might do business with the company you are leaving.

No matter the feelings you may have had, a pleasant exit is not expensive and may get you a lot in terms of good will later.[/QUOTE]

Good advise...

Likes jasonRF
One additional thing that hasn't been mentioned: make sure you understand your current employers' policies. Where I work, Human Resources must be involved. I must give HR at least two weeks notice as well, and usually that is done after meeting with a manager/boss (you don't want your boss to find out you are leaving from HR!).

Also, lingesh is right. Make the leave pleasant and do what you can to wrap up and/or hand-off work. You never know what doors you may need to walk through in the future.

jason

jasonRF said:
One additional thing that hasn't been mentioned: make sure you understand your current employers' policies. Where I work, Human Resources must be involved. I must give HR at least two weeks notice as well, and usually that is done after meeting with a manager/boss (you don't want your boss to find out you are leaving from HR!).

Also, lingesh is right. Make the leave pleasant and do what you can to wrap up and/or hand-off work. You never know what doors you may need to walk through in the future.

jason
Oh I made a mistake while quoting that...actually it s from DEvens..

Hodgey8806 said:

Thanks!

As soon as possible. If he's really busy, pull him aside and tell him, because someone handing in their resignation is kind of a big deal.

Related to When to tell your boss your quitting if they're busy all day

1. When is the best time to tell my boss that I'm quitting?

The best time to tell your boss that you're quitting is during a scheduled one-on-one meeting or during a time when they are not too busy or stressed. This will allow for a calm and professional conversation.

2. Should I give my boss a notice before quitting?

Yes, it is recommended to give your boss a notice before quitting. This shows respect and professionalism and gives them time to plan for your departure and find a replacement.

3. What if my boss is always busy and I can't find a good time to tell them?

If your boss is constantly busy, try to schedule a meeting with them specifically to discuss your resignation. If that is not possible, you can also consider sending them a written resignation letter or email.

4. How much notice should I give my boss before quitting?

The standard notice time is two weeks, but it ultimately depends on your company's policies and your own personal circumstances. If possible, try to give at least two weeks notice, but if that is not feasible, give as much notice as you can.

5. Should I tell my boss in person or can I do it over the phone or email?

It is always best to tell your boss in person. This allows for a more personal and professional conversation. However, if that is not possible, a phone call or email can also suffice.