When to use alpha vs theta for angles

In summary, there is an unwritten convention to use theta, alpha, beta, phi, psi, and gamma to denote angles in equations, with theta being the most commonly used for unknown angles. This convention dates back to Euclid and is similar to using x, y, z for variables and a, b, c for constants. In physics, specific angles may have designated symbols, such as theta for the angle of friction and phi for the angle relative to the vertical. Ultimately, the goal is to be understood and using these symbols in a logical manner can help with that.
PhysEd
Pretty simple question.

When we draw triangles or other pictures with angles, when do we mark the angles as alpha and when do we mark them as theta?
Is there some kind of convention or is it just whatever is free in the equation?

It makes sense to me to use alpha for the first angle then beta for the second and so on.
But how did theta get involved?

Any insight is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Theta is often used in examples involving trigonometry.

Theta is usually the unknown angle which you will be trying to find.

It is an unwritten convention that theta, alpha, beta, phi, psi, gamma are used to denote an angle, just like x,y,z are traditionally used as variables in an equation, but in principle, you could use whatever symbol you like. I don't know why these are the symbols commonly used for angles but it's like this. Perhaps it goes back to Euclid? However, if your goal is to be understood, then stick with theta, alpha, beta, phi, psi. Just like you wouldn't want to say "consider the equations axy - zc³ + bx² where a,b,c are variables and x,y,z are constant. That would just be confusing.

Usually the Greek letters near the end of the alphabet, θ, ψ, φ, are used for angles that are variable in the problem, and the Greek letters near the beginning of the alphabet, α, β, γ, are used for angles that are constant in a problem. This mirrors how Latin letters near the end of the alphabet, x, y, z, are used for variable coordinates and those near the beginning of the alphabet, a, b, c, are used for constants. This is, of course, a convention - but a very logical convention.

In physics some angles have definate symbols.For eg
FRICTION-
Angle of friction-theta
Angle of repose-alpha
correct me if i am wrong...

Thanks everyone for the answers, I compared all your notes to the physics course I am following and I think chrisbaird solved my confusion.

The professor uses theta when the angle is unknown and alpha/beta when they are known!

Awesome, thanks again.

I wanted to add theta (θ) is used inside a circle for the angle relative to the horizontal because if you look at the theta symbol closely, that is what is looks like. A circle with a horizontal line across it. Phi (φ) is used for the angle relative to the vertical because the symbol looks like a circle with a vertical line. Alpha, Beta, Gamma are used because they are identified with A, B, C. The three sides of the triangle.

Related to When to use alpha vs theta for angles

1. What is the difference between alpha and theta angles?

Alpha and theta are both angles used in mathematics and science, but they have different definitions and applications. Alpha (α) is typically used to represent the angle between a line and the x-axis in a coordinate plane, while theta (θ) is commonly used to represent the angle of rotation in trigonometry and physics.

2. When should I use alpha angles?

Alpha angles are best used when dealing with two-dimensional coordinate systems, such as in geometry or plotting graphs. They are also used in physics to calculate the horizontal and vertical components of a vector.

3. When is it appropriate to use theta angles?

Theta angles are typically used in trigonometry, where they represent the angle of rotation in a right triangle. They are also used in physics to calculate the magnitude and direction of a vector's components.

4. Can alpha and theta angles be used interchangeably?

No, alpha and theta angles cannot be used interchangeably as they have different definitions and applications. Using the wrong angle could result in incorrect calculations and solutions.

5. How do I convert between alpha and theta angles?

To convert between alpha and theta angles, you can use the following formulas: α = θ - 90° or θ = α + 90°. This assumes that alpha angles are measured counterclockwise from the positive x-axis, while theta angles are measured counterclockwise from the positive y-axis.