Why Use Unit Vectors in Calculations?

In summary, a unit vector approach will always give the same answer as not using unit vectors, as it is simply a different way of writing out the same problem. However, it allows for the use of vector equations, which cannot be done without unit vectors.
vetgirl1990
I'm confused about what situations you should use unit vectors in... and it seems that when I approach the same problem using unit vectors vs. without unit vectors, I get different answers. Why?
To illustrate my confusion, here's an example that I tried solving using unit vectors, and without unit vectors.

For example:

Homework Statement

A particle moves in the xy plane from the origin at t=0 with an initial velocity having an x-component of 20m/s, and a y-component of -15m/s. The particle has an acceleration in the x-direction of ax=4m/s2

What is the velocity of the particle at 5 seconds?

2. Homework Equations

Velocity as a function of time: vf=vi+at

The Attempt at a Solution

Expressed as unit vectors:
vf = (vix+axt)i + (viy+ayt)j
vf = (20+4t)i - 15j
vf = [20 +4(5)]i - 15j = (40i - 15j)m/s
Expressed into x and y components: vfx=40m/s, vfy=-15m/s
vf = sqrt(402 + (-15)2) = 37m/s

Expressed as "regular" vectors:
x direction: vfx = vix+axt = 20+4t
y direction: vfy = viy+ayt = -15 +4(0) = -15
vf = sqrt[(20+4t)2 + (-15)2] = sqrt(625 + 160t + 16t2) = 43m/s

EDIT: I rechecked my calculations, and realized that my final answer for the unit vector approach is also 43m/s... D'oh!
Given my mistake, my question is now: Will a unit vector approach always give me the same answer as when I don't use unit vectors?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
vetgirl1990 said:
I'm confused about what situations you should use unit vectors in... and it seems that when I approach the same problem using unit vectors vs. without unit vectors, I get different answers. Why?
To illustrate my confusion, here's an example that I tried solving using unit vectors, and without unit vectors.

For example:

Homework Statement

A particle moves in the xy plane from the origin at t=0 with an initial velocity having an x-component of 20m/s, and a y-component of -15m/s. The particle has an acceleration in the x-direction of ax=4m/s2

What is the velocity of the particle at 5 seconds?

2. Homework Equations

Velocity as a function of time: vf=vi+at

The Attempt at a Solution

Expressed as unit vectors:
vf = (vix+axt)i + (viy+ayt)j
vf = (20+4t)i - 15j
vf = [20 +4(5)]i - 15j = (40i - 15j)m/s
Expressed into x and y components: vfx=40m/s, vfy=-15m/s
vf = sqrt(402 + (-15)2) = 37m/s

Expressed as "regular" vectors:
x direction: vfx = vix+axt = 20+4t
y direction: vfy = viy+ayt = -15 +4(0) = -15
vf = sqrt[(20+4t)2 + (-15)2] = sqrt(625 + 160t + 16t2) = 43m/s

In the last line of the 'unit vectors' calculation, check your arithmetic when you calculate the velocity at t = 5 sec.

In the last line of your 'regular' calculation, why did you expand (20 + 4t)2 ? Why didn't you just evaluate (20 + 4t) and then square the result?

SteamKing said:
In the last line of the 'unit vectors' calculation, check your arithmetic when you calculate the velocity at t = 5 sec.

In the last line of your 'regular' calculation, why did you expand (20 + 4t)2 ? Why didn't you just evaluate (20 + 4t) and then square the result?

Such a trivial mistake on my part! Yes, I redid my calculations and got 43m/s for both approaches. Now, will a "unit vector" approach always give me the same answer as when I don't use unit vectors?

vetgirl1990 said:
Such a trivial mistake on my part! Yes, I redid my calculations and got 43m/s for both approaches. Now, will a "unit vector" approach always give me the same answer as when I don't use unit vectors?
It should. You still have to keep your arithmetic checked, though.

vetgirl1990 said:
Will a unit vector approach always give me the same answer as when I don't use unit vectors?

Of course. It's just a different way of writing things out. Note that you can write a vector equation with unit vectors, something you cannot do without them.

For example, ##\vec{J}=25 \hat i+7 \hat j##

1. When should I use unit vectors in my calculations?

Unit vectors are typically used when dealing with vector quantities, such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration. They are especially useful when working with vector components and finding the direction of a vector.

2. How do I convert a vector into a unit vector?

To convert a vector into a unit vector, divide each component of the vector by its magnitude. The resulting vector will have a magnitude of 1 and will point in the same direction as the original vector.

3. Can unit vectors be used in three-dimensional space?

Yes, unit vectors can be used in three-dimensional space. In fact, they are often used to describe the direction of a vector in three-dimensional space, as they can represent the direction along the x, y, and z axes.

4. Are there any advantages to using unit vectors?

One of the main advantages of using unit vectors is that they simplify calculations involving vectors. They can also be used to represent the direction of a vector without the need for complex calculations.

5. Can unit vectors be used in physics and engineering?

Yes, unit vectors are commonly used in both physics and engineering. They are particularly useful in calculating forces, velocities, and accelerations in these fields.