When will metric compatibility hold/not hold?

In summary, there is a contradiction between the claim that ∇g vanishes in locally flat coordinates and the fact that there are other ways of defining a ∇ operator for which ∇g does not vanish. This is because in standard GR, the affine connection is assumed to be torsion-free and compatible with the metric. However, there are other possible definitions for the connection that would result in different geodesics and a different theory than GR.
Ron19932017
Hi everyone,

I am reading Sean Carroll's note on gr and he mentioned metric compatibility.
When ∇g=0 we say the metric is compatible.

However from another online material, the lecturer argues ∇ of a tensor is still a tensor,
and given that ∇g vanish in locally flat coordinate and this is a tensorial equation, therefore it vanishes in any other coordinate. That gives us ∇g always = 0.

I guess the contradiction comes from some implicit use about ∇g=0 vanish in locally flat coordinate but I am not sure what exactly is it. The first derivative in local coordinate vanishes, but I am not sure if the connection symbol vanishes too. I mean in locally flat coordinate the metric is cartesian like, but does that immediately imply the connection is also cartesian like (=0)?Does anyone know why is there a contradiction? Sean Carroll and Schutz did not talk much about non-torsion-free cases so I really don't know what is going on.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ron19932017 said:
Does anyone know why is there a contradiction?

There isn't one. The statement that ##\nabla g## vanishes in locally flat coordinates assumes that you are using the ##\nabla## operator that is metric compatible. There are other possible ways of defining a ##\nabla## operator for which ##\nabla g## would not vanish, even in locally flat coordinates.

Likes vanhees71 and Ron19932017
One more point for the Op: zero torsion is generally unrelated to zero nonmetricity tensor. In GR the two conditions are taken as valid and henceforth one has an unique way to link the connection to the metric tensor.

Something I'm not clear on - what happens if you do pick a different definition of ##\nabla##? You're presumably giving yourself a degree of freedom that's not present in vanilla GR by allowing yourself a free choice of connection or metric-compatibility. So are you defining a family of more general theories of spacetime containing GR as a special case, or are you just giving yourself more ways to describe the same thing?

I suspect the latter from how little comment Carroll makes over picking the metric-compatible torsion-free case, but I'm not certain.

In standard GR you assume a pseudo-Riemannian spacetime manifold, i.e., a differentiable manifold with (a) a nondegenerate bilinear form (fundamental form, pseudo-metric, for physicists simply metric) of signature (1,3) and (b) the uniquely determined torsion free affine connection that's compatible with the metric in the above discussed sense.

As far as I know, there's no hint from observation that you need a more general affine connection, although it occurs somewhat naturally if you consider GR from the point of view of gauge theories (gauging the Lorentz invariance of Minkowski spacetime), leading to Einstein-Cartan theory.

Likes Ibix and fresh_42
Ibix said:
Something I'm not clear on - what happens if you do pick a different definition of ##\nabla##? You're presumably giving yourself a degree of freedom that's not present in vanilla GR by allowing yourself a free choice of connection or metric-compatibility. So are you defining a family of more general theories of spacetime containing GR as a special case, or are you just giving yourself more ways to describe the same thing?

I suspect the latter from how little comment Carroll makes over picking the metric-compatible torsion-free case, but I'm not certain.
It depends how you map observables to mathematical objects. Suppose a metric. Then there exists a unique, torsion free metric compatible connection, but one may also define a different non compatible connection (or even a compatible connection with torsion). Then you have two families of geodesics per the parallel transport definition. If you posit that test bodies follow the non compatible geodesics, you obviously have a very different theory than GR, where free fall does not locally extremize proper time.

Last edited:
Likes cianfa72, Ibix and vanhees71

1. When will metric compatibility hold?

Metric compatibility will hold when all measurements are reported in the metric system, specifically using the International System of Units (SI). This includes using meters for length, kilograms for mass, and seconds for time, among others.

2. When will metric compatibility not hold?

Metric compatibility will not hold when measurements are reported using non-metric units such as feet, pounds, or inches. It also will not hold if there is a mix of metric and non-metric units in the same system of measurement.

3. How does metric compatibility affect scientific research?

Metric compatibility is important in scientific research because it allows for consistency and accuracy in measurements. It also allows for easier communication and comparison of data between different researchers and countries.

4. Is the United States metric compatible?

The United States is not fully metric compatible, but there has been a push towards metrication in recent years. While some industries, such as science and medicine, primarily use the metric system, the general public still largely uses non-metric units.

5. How can we promote metric compatibility?

To promote metric compatibility, education and awareness are key. This can include introducing the metric system in schools and encouraging the use of metric units in everyday life. Governments and organizations can also adopt policies and standards that support the use of the metric system in their operations.