When will the barrel become half empty?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a barrel filled with water and a hole on the bottom of the barrel. The question is how long it will take for the barrel to become half-empty. Relevant equations such as Bernoulli's principle, Toricelli's equation, and the continuity equation are mentioned, but the person is unsure of how to solve the problem. They try different approaches but are unable to find a solution. The suggested solution involves correlating the sinking velocity of the liquid level with the velocity of the exiting water and solving an initial value problem.
mathchimp

Homework Statement

[/B]
I'm not a native english speaker, so I apologize if my explanations are a bit awkward. I do not have a solution to this problem and I'd be grateful if someone could check this/help. I also have absolutely no idea how to even begin. Asked my colleagues, none of them know. I'm pretty desperate.

There's a barrel filled with water. The volume of water inside is V=200L. Its hight is 1m.
We decide to make a hole on the bottom of the barrel. The size of the hole is 1cm2.

How much time will it take for the barrel to become half-empty (when will the height drop to 1/2 of the initial height)?

Homework Equations

What I believe is relevant here is:

Applying Bernoulli's principle:
p1+qgh1+1/2qv1^2=p2+qgh2+1/2qv2^2

Toricelli (this is derived from Bernoulli's principle in this case from what I understand):
v=sqrt(2*g*h)

Continuity equation:
S1v1=s2v2

The Attempt at a Solution

I got used to solving problems that include manometers, tubes of different sizes etc., but with a simple problem like this, I'm not sure where to begin.

First I did basic conversions.

V=200*10-3m3
S=1*10-4m2

My first thought was writing down:

h1=1/2*h2

and proceed from there, but I didn't get anything useful, since none of the equations I've written down took the size of the small hole into consideration.

t=v*s would seem fine, but since velocity isn't constant, I need a differential equation, ending up with an integral I cannot solve nor does it seem like a way to solve this (please correct me if I'm wrong).

I tried writing down the Bernoulli equation I've written above and it just leads to v=sqrt(2gh). Again, I'm not getting anything. Tried S1*v1=S2*v2, but since v1 is close to zero, I can't get anything from this equation either.

Physics news on Phys.org
1) In a first step you have to correlate the sinking velocity of the liquid level (##dh/dt##), with the velocity of the exiting water (with Torricelli)
2) By separation of the variables ##h## and ##t## and integrating (which is quite easy to write down, but not that easy to do), you obtain an initial value problem, which you can solve by inserting the height of the level at ##t=0##

But I suggest you start with 1)

1. When will the barrel become half empty?

The answer to this question depends on several factors, such as the size of the barrel, the rate at which the contents are being used, and the starting volume of the barrel. It is not possible to determine an exact time or date for when the barrel will become half empty without knowing these variables.

2. How can we determine when the barrel will become half empty?

In order to determine when the barrel will become half empty, we would need to know the current volume of the barrel, the rate at which the contents are being used, and the size of the barrel. With this information, we can calculate the time or date at which the barrel will reach the halfway point.

3. Will the rate at which the barrel becomes half empty change over time?

Yes, the rate at which the barrel becomes half empty can change over time. Factors such as temperature, humidity, and atmospheric pressure can affect the rate at which the contents of the barrel are used, which can impact the time it takes for the barrel to become half empty.

4. Can we speed up or slow down the process of the barrel becoming half empty?

Yes, we can speed up or slow down the process of the barrel becoming half empty by adjusting the rate at which the contents are being used. For example, if we decrease the rate at which the contents are being used, it will take longer for the barrel to become half empty. However, this may also affect the overall quality of the contents.

5. Is there a way to accurately predict when the barrel will become half empty?

While we can make estimations based on the factors mentioned before, it is not possible to accurately predict when the barrel will become half empty. Other variables, such as changes in storage conditions or human error, can also impact the rate at which the contents are used, making it difficult to make an accurate prediction.