When you were in college, did you enjoy all the classes....

In summary, the question of whether or not a student enjoys their major classes is important because it reminds them that they cannot expect to like every course needed for their degree program and that they must make an effort to learn and tolerate all courses to successfully complete their chosen major. It also serves as a reminder to reflect on any regrets and missed opportunities in their college career.
Eclair_de_XII
...relating to your major?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just out of curiosity, what does it matter? I mean, what good does it do you to know whether I, or anyone else, enjoyed my major classes or not?

Eclair_de_XII said:
Some you like and some you do not like. If you want to complete a degree in any chosen major field, you must tolerate both and make the honest effort to learn.

Of course not! There were some that were dull as dust, and some that were profoundly exciting.

Likes Math100
No, and there were some I particularly hated.

Likes Math100
phinds said:
what does it matter?

I guess I'm just idling in my thoughts, pointlessly regretting not taking the classes I was somewhat in interested in taking in my college career, but chose not to, because I could choose a set of classes that are scheduled in such a way that my work hours are maximized. There are lots of things I regret not doing in college, and this is one of them; there are plenty more things I regret, but I am not in the mood to bore people by talking about these regrets.

Thanks, everyone, for sharing their thoughts and experiences on the matter, besides.

Last edited:
Likes Math100
phinds said:
Just out of curiosity, what does it matter? I mean, what good does it do you to know whether I, or anyone else, enjoyed my major classes or not?
The question matters, because a student cannot and should not expect to like every course needed for an undergraduate degree program.

post-ad : As I rethink this, it does not really answer the original question. It does nothing more than restate what the student asked, but as a declaration instead.

Last edited:
Eclair_de_XII said:
No. In my day we had revolving blackboards that went up to the ceiling in our two storey lecture theatre. One lecturer wrote maths equations so fast they disappeared over the top faster than I could write them down let alone keep up with his reasoning. Amazingly one or two students out of the 100 or so could even spot when he had made a mistake!

symbolipoint said:
The question matters, because a student cannot and should not expect to like every course needed for an undergraduate degree program.
Fair enough, but any human who expects to like EVERYTHING about any aspect of life is likely to be in for a hard life of disappointment and students are no exception.

1. Did you enjoy all the classes you took in college?

As a scientist, I can say that it is highly unlikely for anyone to enjoy every single class they take in college. However, I did find many of my classes to be interesting and engaging.

2. What was your favorite class in college?

My favorite class in college was definitely my biology course. I have always been fascinated by the natural world and learning about the complexities of life was incredibly exciting for me.

3. Were there any classes that you found particularly challenging?

Yes, there were definitely some classes that I found to be more challenging than others. In particular, my advanced statistics course was quite difficult for me, but I was able to overcome the challenges with determination and hard work.

4. Did you have any professors that made a lasting impact on you?

Absolutely. I had several professors who were not only knowledgeable and passionate about their subject, but also took the time to mentor and guide me. They played a huge role in shaping my academic and professional pursuits.

5. How did your college classes prepare you for your career as a scientist?

My college classes provided me with a strong foundation in scientific principles and critical thinking skills. They also exposed me to various research methods and techniques, which have been invaluable in my career as a scientist. Additionally, the teamwork and communication skills I learned in group projects and presentations have been essential in collaborating with my colleagues in the scientific community.