Constant length metallic wire as a thermometer, using tension?

zenterix
TL;DR Summary
Would it be possible to use as a thermometer a thermodynamic system consisting of a constant length wire by using the wire tension as the thermometric property?
I posted another question about a thermodynamic system with three coordinates, namely, that of a metallic wire. We can describe that system with temperature, wire tension, and wire length.

The result derived in that question was that the partial derivative of wire tension relative to absolute temperature (with length constant) is negative for a metallic wire (well, at least I think so, my question was precisely if this is the result obtained in the calculations I showed).

I also posted a question about thermometers and absolute temperature scales.

Can we use such a metallic wire as a thermometer, with the thermometric property being the tension?

Suppose the fixed length is L, and we determine the tension of the wire when the temperature is at the triple point of water. Call this tension ##\zeta_{TP}##.

Then, we change the temperature to some new equilibrium with a new tension. Now, at this point, I am using the word "temperature" without specifying if it is higher or lower than the initial state because we are in the process of defining the values of temperature.

Would we not have an empirical temperature scale defined by

##\theta(\zeta)=273.16\frac{\zeta}{\zeta_{TP}}##?

Now, this is still measured in Kelvin.

However, we would have, for example, the temperature at the boiling point of water being lower than the temperature at the freezing point.

Is this reasoning correct and would this temperature scale be considered "absolute"?

Physics news on Phys.org

1. How does a constant length metallic wire work as a thermometer using tension?

A constant length metallic wire works as a thermometer by measuring the change in tension in the wire as the temperature changes. As the temperature increases, the atoms in the wire vibrate more vigorously, causing the wire to expand and increase in length. This increase in length results in an increase in tension in the wire, which can be measured and used to determine the temperature.

2. What are the advantages of using a constant length metallic wire as a thermometer?

Some advantages of using a constant length metallic wire as a thermometer include its simplicity, accuracy, and reliability. The tension in the wire is directly proportional to the temperature, making it a precise measuring instrument. Additionally, the wire is not affected by changes in pressure or humidity, allowing for consistent temperature readings.

3. How is the tension in the wire calibrated to measure temperature accurately?

The tension in the wire can be calibrated by subjecting the wire to known temperature changes and measuring the corresponding changes in tension. This data can be used to create a calibration curve, which relates tension to temperature. By referencing this calibration curve, the tension in the wire can be converted to an accurate temperature reading.

4. What are the limitations of using a constant length metallic wire as a thermometer?

One limitation of using a constant length metallic wire as a thermometer is its sensitivity to external factors such as mechanical stress or vibrations. Any changes in these factors can affect the tension in the wire and lead to inaccurate temperature readings. Additionally, the wire may have a limited temperature range over which it can accurately measure temperature.

5. How can the accuracy of a constant length metallic wire thermometer be improved?

The accuracy of a constant length metallic wire thermometer can be improved by carefully calibrating the instrument, ensuring that it is properly maintained, and minimizing any sources of error. Regular calibration checks, using high-quality materials, and following proper measurement techniques can all contribute to improving the accuracy of the thermometer.