Where Can I Begin to Understand Physics and Mathematics as a Beginner?

• Thread starter cyber850
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beginner
In summary, the individual has recently joined a forum and is seeking help with understanding the rules and equations of physics and mathematics as a beginner. They have attempted to learn on their own, but are now seeking guidance on where to start and how to improve their knowledge. They have a passion for learning and are interested in majoring in astrophysics. The suggestion is given to download books and work through them systematically in order to gain a better understanding of the subjects.
cyber850
Hey guys, I recently joined this forum and so far I'm loving every bit of information all of you have posted. There is one problem with my current position, I am a beginner and I don't quite understand the "rules" and "equations" of physics and mathematics. If you guys could help me on where I could get started to understand physics AND mathematics. I have attempted to learn physics by myself, although it was only the basics of velocity, distance, and time. I am a freak when it comes to astronomy and I love to learn. Hope to see you guys in further debates.
Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to our forum cyber850!

Can you tell us more about your current math knowledge? What do you know well, what are you struggling with, what would you like to know?

And the same for physics.

If you want to learn on your own, I'd suggest downloading some books and read from the beginning to end doing all the practice problems along the way. That takes a lot of time, but if you have the determination and interest, you can do it, and you'll learn a lot.
A lot of people try to learn on their own by watching videos and looking up stuff on websites. But that kinda leaves gaps in your knowledge, from what I've noticed. A book will take you step by step through the information so there's no gaps. I think, in order to really understand a subject, you need to slowly build on what you already know instead of reading about sporadic topics that you may understand only part of.
And if you need help finding books on topics you want to learn, you could either ask here, or if you're enrolled in college, you can go to the college website and see what books are being assigned to a class you're not taking, but want to learn about on your own.

Likes 1 person
micromass said:
Welcome to our forum cyber850!

Can you tell us more about your current math knowledge? What do you know well, what are you struggling with, what would you like to know?

And the same for physics.

As I said I am a beginner but I have a passion to learn. I have knowledge on advanced functions, although I will be going into calculus next year and for physics, I know the basics of the calculations of some equations and some understanding of the terms. I also want to major in astrophysics.

I would recommend starting with the fundamentals of physics and mathematics. This includes understanding the basic principles and laws, such as Newton's laws of motion and the laws of thermodynamics, as well as basic mathematical concepts like algebra and geometry.

There are many resources available for beginners to learn these subjects, including online courses, textbooks, and educational videos. It's important to find a learning method that works best for you and to practice regularly to solidify your understanding.

I also highly recommend seeking out a mentor or joining a study group to help guide your learning and provide support. Additionally, actively engaging in discussions and debates with others who are also interested in physics and mathematics can greatly enhance your understanding and critical thinking skills.

Lastly, don't be afraid to ask questions and seek clarification when needed. Physics and mathematics can be challenging but with dedication and perseverance, you can become proficient in these subjects. Good luck on your learning journey and I hope to see you continue to explore and expand your knowledge of these fascinating fields.

1. Where can I find resources to learn physics and mathematics as a beginner?

There are many resources available for beginners to learn physics and mathematics. You can start by checking out online courses, textbooks, and educational websites such as Khan Academy, Coursera, and edX. You can also join study groups or attend workshops and seminars to learn from others.

2. How do I know if I have the necessary background knowledge to begin learning physics and mathematics?

It is helpful to have a basic understanding of algebra and geometry before diving into physics and mathematics. However, many resources for beginners assume no prior knowledge and provide explanations and examples to help you understand the concepts.

3. What are some tips for understanding difficult concepts in physics and mathematics?

One tip is to break down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts. You can also try using visual aids, such as diagrams and graphs, to help you understand the material. Additionally, practicing problems and seeking help from tutors or peers can also improve your understanding.

4. How much time should I dedicate to learning physics and mathematics as a beginner?

The amount of time needed to learn physics and mathematics as a beginner will vary for each person. It is important to set aside regular study sessions and practice regularly. It may also help to set specific goals and track your progress to stay motivated.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong background in mathematics to understand physics?

While having a strong foundation in mathematics can be beneficial in understanding physics, it is not a requirement. Many resources for beginners provide explanations and examples that do not require advanced mathematical knowledge. However, as you progress in your understanding of physics, a strong background in mathematics will become increasingly important.