Where Can I Find a Physics Internship for Winter Break in the USA?

In summary, finding a physics internship, research program, or learning experience program lasting only a month during the winter break in the USA is difficult for several reasons. First, a month is not enough time to make significant progress on a project. Second, this time period is busy and often spent with family and friends. It is suggested to try to get involved in a research project during the fall that can continue into the winter break. Ultimately, it is unreasonable to expect a program that only lasts a month, especially during the holidays. The question then arises, why not pursue research during the semester instead?
Mike Garlow
Hello:

I've been trying to find a physics internship, research program, learning experience program, etc. etc. during the winter break in the USA (between the middle of december to the middle of january - so about 1 month). Can anyone guide me to any resources that might help my search. I have been searching with no luck so far.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're going to have a hard time finding anything over that time period.

For one, a month really isn't a lot of time to make any progress on a project. Even a four month summer project doesn't give the student a lot of time.

Second, that's a horrible time to schedule anything formal. For undergraduates this is the period between when exams end and when winter semester classes begin. Even outside of a religious context a lot of people, including professors, take this time to go home, visit their families and catch up with friends.

You best bet is to try to get involved with a research project of some sort in the fall that will carry over into the winter and then use that quiet time over the break to really dive into your project. Keep an eye out for a professor who's trying to avoid his or her in-laws.

Likes Dishsoap
It is unreasonable to find a program that only lasts a month, especially over the holidays. As Choppy said, if you are doing research in the fall it's very likely you will be working on stuff throughout break anyway (in fact, my professor once wanted to Skype me on Christmas Day. I kindly told him to GTFO).

The real question is this. Why can you not do research during the semester?

1. What is an internship?

An internship is a temporary work experience in a professional setting, usually related to a specific field of study or career interest. It provides hands-on training and practical experience for students or recent graduates.

2. How do I find an internship?

You can find internships through various sources such as job search websites, career fairs, networking events, and your university's career center. It's important to research and apply to internships that align with your interests and career goals.

3. What are the benefits of doing an internship?

An internship allows you to gain valuable skills and knowledge, build a professional network, and enhance your resume. It also provides an opportunity to explore different career paths and industries, and potentially secure a full-time job after graduation.

4. Is an internship paid or unpaid?

Internships can be either paid or unpaid, depending on the company and the nature of the internship. Some internships offer a stipend or academic credit instead of a salary. It's important to clarify the compensation and expectations with the company before accepting an internship offer.

5. What should I expect from an internship?

An internship typically involves working on projects and tasks assigned by your supervisor, attending meetings and trainings, and participating in the daily operations of the company. You can also expect to receive feedback and mentorship from your supervisor to help you develop your skills and knowledge.