Where Can I Find a Proof for the Wronskian Formula?

In summary, the Wronskian formula is a mathematical tool used to determine the linear independence or dependence of a set of functions. It is calculated by taking the determinant of a matrix of the functions' derivatives. It has applications in differential equations, linear algebra, and quantum mechanics, but has limitations such as only being applicable to a finite set of functions and not being able to handle non-differentiable or singular functions.
zaybu
Can anyone point to a proof for the Wronskian formula:

W[v,v*] = v'v* - vv*' = 2iIM(v', v*)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by 'IM(v', v*)'?

[itex] W= s z^{*}- s^{*}z[/itex]
[itex]s=a+ib[/itex]
[itex]z=c+id[/itex]

[itex] W= (a+ib) (c-id) - (a-ib) (c+id)[/itex]
[itex] W= ac -i ad +i bc -bd - ac -i ad +ibc+bd[/itex]
[itex] W= -i ad +i bc -i ad +ibc[/itex]
[itex] W= 2i bc - 2i ad = 2i (bc-ad)[/itex]

[itex] sz^{*} = ac + bd + i (bc-ad) [/itex]
so
[itex] Im(sz^{*})= bc-ad[/itex]

The proof is already seen

Thanks

for your question! The Wronskian formula is a mathematical tool used in the study of differential equations, and it is often used to determine whether a set of solutions to a differential equation is linearly independent or not. The formula is given by W[v,v*] = v'v* - vv*', where v and v* are two solutions to the differential equation and the prime notation (') represents differentiation with respect to the independent variable.

As for a proof of this formula, there are many resources available online that provide step-by-step explanations and derivations. One possible approach is to use the definition of linear independence and show that W[v,v*] = 0 if and only if the solutions v and v* are linearly dependent. Another approach is to use the property that the Wronskian of a set of solutions is a constant multiple of the determinant of the matrix formed by the solutions and their derivatives.

Ultimately, the proof relies on the properties of derivatives and linear independence, and it can be extended to more general cases involving higher order differential equations and multiple solutions. I hope this helps and encourages you to explore the fascinating world of differential equations and their applications further!

What is the Wronskian formula?

The Wronskian formula is a mathematical tool used to determine whether a set of functions is linearly independent or dependent. It is named after the mathematician Józef Maria Hoene-Wronski.

How is the Wronskian formula calculated?

The Wronskian formula is calculated by taking the determinant of a matrix consisting of the derivatives of the given functions. It is represented as W[f1, f2, ..., fn], where fn represents the nth derivative of the function.

What does the Wronskian formula tell us?

The Wronskian formula tells us whether a set of functions is linearly independent or dependent. If the determinant of the matrix is non-zero, the functions are linearly independent. If the determinant is zero, the functions are linearly dependent.

What are the applications of the Wronskian formula?

The Wronskian formula has various applications in mathematics and physics. It is commonly used in differential equations to determine the general solution, in linear algebra to determine the linear independence of vectors, and in quantum mechanics to determine the energy levels of a system.

Are there any limitations to the Wronskian formula?

Yes, the Wronskian formula has some limitations. It can only be applied to a finite set of functions. It also cannot be used to determine the linear independence of non-differentiable functions or functions with singularities.