Where Can I Find a Quality Logic Textbook for My Physics Degree?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a good logic textbook online. The individual plans on reading Russell's writings on the subject, but notes that some of it may be outdated. They also discuss the importance of staying updated on logical truth and recommend a textbook by Kleen. The conversation then shifts to discussing different types of logic textbooks, including mathematical and philosophical logic. Finally, some recommendations are made for specific textbooks, including one by A.C. Grayling and another from the MIT OpenCourseware page.
Shackleford
I'm not squeezing this into my degree (Physics), but I'd like to buy a good Logic textbook online or whatever. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I plan on making my way through Russells writings on the subject at some point. They may be outdated now, however.

Gwilim said:
I plan on making my way through Russells writings on the subject at some point. They may be outdated now, however.

Does that really matter in logic?

What other textbooks would you recommend?

Shackleford said:
Does that really matter in logic?

What other textbooks would you recommend?

To some extent, yes it does. While logical truth is constant human understanding of it is not. For example, anything written before Russell will not include the revisions he made. In fact Aristotlean logic was still popular well into the nineteenth century.

I am keyboard jockeying a little here as I've never received any formal training in logic, you're probably best off waiting until someone more knowledgeable comes along to answer your question.

Heh. Yeah. I'm waiting for someone knowledgeable to chime in here.

What do you want to know about logic? Do you want to know various latin names for common argument forms? Do you want to learn a symbolic calculus for propositions and logical connectives? Do you want to learn about deep issues near the foundation of mathematics?

If want something substantial that covers a lot of ground in depth, then a reasonably heavyweight choice is Kleen 'Mathematical Logic.' If you just want to learn the propositional calculus and a fiew latin words, then just look at what textbook your local university uses for Symbolic logic or Reasoning courses. Choosing between these school books is like choosing an intro calculus book: just go with a cheap one.

ExactlySolved said:
What do you want to know about logic? Do you want to know various latin names for common argument forms? Do you want to learn a symbolic calculus for propositions and logical connectives? Do you want to learn about deep issues near the foundation of mathematics?

If want something substantial that covers a lot of ground in depth, then a reasonably heavyweight choice is Kleen 'Mathematical Logic.' If you just want to learn the propositional calculus and a fiew latin words, then just look at what textbook your local university uses for Symbolic logic or Reasoning courses. Choosing between these school books is like choosing an intro calculus book: just go with a cheap one.

This book?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486425339/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, and for that price I would recommend it.

ExactlySolved said:
Yeah, and for that price I would recommend it.

I'm trying to find a hardcover in very good condition.

If you are looking for a particularly well written and thorough textbook introducing the major principles of philosophical logic, then I cannot recommend this book enough.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0631199829/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It's An Introduction to Philosophical Logic by A.C. Grayling and it's a university level textbook. But very readable.

What's the difference between the Mathematical and Philosophical Logic books? I know mathematical logic is a subset of philosophical logic.

From the MIT OpenCourseware page:
Logic I
http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Linguistics-and-Philosophy/24-241Fall-2005/Readings/index.htm

Logic II
http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Linguistics-and-Philosophy/24-242Spring-2004/LectureNotes/index.htm

Related to Where Can I Find a Quality Logic Textbook for My Physics Degree?

What is logic?

Logic is the study of reasoning, argumentation, and the principles that govern valid and sound thinking. It is a branch of philosophy and is essential in fields such as mathematics, computer science, and linguistics.

What makes a good logic textbook?

A good logic textbook should provide clear and concise explanations of concepts, use relevant and relatable examples, and have a logical and organized structure. It should also include exercises and practice problems to reinforce understanding.

What topics should a good logic textbook cover?

A good logic textbook should cover topics such as deductive and inductive reasoning, formal logic, fallacies, language and meaning, and propositional and predicate logic. It should also introduce students to different types of arguments and methods of evaluation.

What are some highly recommended logic textbooks?

Some highly recommended logic textbooks include "A Concise Introduction to Logic" by Patrick Hurley, "Introduction to Logic" by Irving M. Copi, "The Logic Book" by Merrie Bergmann, and "Logic: Techniques of Formal Reasoning" by Donald Kalish and Richard Montague.

How can I choose the right logic textbook for me?

To choose the right logic textbook, consider your level of knowledge and understanding of logic, your learning style, and the specific topics you need to cover. It is also helpful to read reviews and recommendations from other students and professors.