Where Can I Find a Technical Guide to Patent Law for Engineers?

• Thread starter Bipolarity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law Patent
In summary, when looking for a textbook on patent law for engineers, it is important to find one that is geared towards the technical side rather than for patent attorneys. This type of book should act as an engineer's guide to the design and drafting of patents. While it is possible for an inventor to write their own patent, it is often recommended to have a patent attorney draft it to ensure all aspects are covered and protected. The most crucial part of a patent document is the claims made, as these are what are argued in court. To protect against variations, a patent attorney should be knowledgeable about different delivery media and how to cover them. One recommended book for patent law is the Patent Examiners/Agents certification exam book, but there are
Bipolarity
Can anyone recommend me a good textbok on patent law for engineers? It should be geared toward the technical side (i.e. suited for the engineer) rather than for the patent attorney. In other words, it should be something of an engineer's guide to the design and drafting of patents.

Appreciate it thanks.

BiP

Physics news on Phys.org
Its always better to have a patent attorney draft your invention from some writeup you give him/her. Sometimes they come up with uses that you never thought of also, sometimes your invention may be composed of several ideas some of which have been patented or can't be patented (public knowledge, obvious...)

The key part of a patent document is not the write-up that describes the invention but the claims made. These are what are argued in court. My old company had a scheme for patenting software that covered all the various delivery media like the algorithm is embedded in the CPU, or as a program or packaged on a removable media (CD) to box in the idea so someone couldn't slip in with a variation not covered. Thee variations are what patent attorneys know about and should protect against in your patent disclosure.

As far as books go the best one is probably the Patent Examiners / Agents certification exam book.

Here's some from google:

https://www.google.com/#q=patent+bo...79,d.b2U&fp=93ce6c1e681b6484&biw=1024&bih=567

I can't say which one is best as I learned by submitting and defending patents before a review commitee at my old company and then reviewing the patent disclosure written by the assigned patent attorney.

Last edited:

1. What is a patent?

A patent is a legal document that grants the owner exclusive rights to an invention, preventing others from making, using, or selling the invention for a certain period of time.

2. How does patent law protect engineers?

Patent law protects engineers by allowing them to legally protect their inventions and innovations. This means that they have the exclusive rights to their creations and can prevent others from using or profiting from them without their permission.

3. What are the requirements for obtaining a patent?

In order to obtain a patent, an invention must be novel, non-obvious, and have utility. This means that the invention must be new and cannot be an obvious improvement on an existing invention. It must also have a practical use or purpose.

4. How long does a patent last?

In most countries, a patent lasts for 20 years from the date of filing. However, the exact duration of a patent may vary depending on the country and the type of invention.

5. Can an engineer obtain a patent for their employer?

In most cases, yes. If an engineer creates an invention while working for their employer, the employer may have the right to obtain the patent. However, this may depend on the terms of the employment contract and any agreements made between the engineer and their employer.