Where can I find cuvettes with transparent caps?

• B
  • Thread starter KShah423
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transparent
In summary, a high school student is replicating the Faraday Effect using cuvettes filled with liquids and air to test light polarization. However, the cuvettes need to be placed horizontally inside a solenoid, but the cap blocks the laser light. The student is looking for an affordable solution, and an alternate approach is suggested. This includes supporting the solenoid vertically and using a microscope slide to support the cuvettes without the cap. The light source can be placed under the solenoid or aimed at a mirror/prism, while the sensor can be placed on top or below the solenoid or redirected using a mirror.
KShah423
I am a high school student replicating the Faraday Effect. I'm using cuvettes to fill with liquids and air to test the polarization of light. I found cuvettes such as these:
Fluorc1.jpg

The problem is the cap. The cuvettes are to be inserted inside of a solenoid, so the only possible way for them to be properly situated is horizontally. However, light from a laser cannot pass through the cap. Is there an affordable solution to finding UV plastic cuvettes that can be placed horizontally? Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org
How about an alternate approach?

Support the solenoid vertically, even put it on two stacks of books if nothing else is available.
Put a microscope slide under the solenoid so you have a support for the cuvettes and place the cuvette in the solenoid. Then you can leave the cap off.
The light source can be either under the solenoid pointing upward, or aimed at a mirror or prism under the solenoid to aim the light upward.
The sensor could rest on top of the solenoid or you could place another mirror up there to redirect the output light to the sensor.

Or if it is easier, put the light source above the solenoid and the sensor below it.

1. What are cuvettes with transparent caps used for?

Cuvettes with transparent caps are commonly used in spectrophotometry, a technique used in scientific research to measure the amount of light absorbed by a sample. The transparent caps allow for accurate and precise readings by minimizing any interference from outside light sources.

2. Where can I purchase cuvettes with transparent caps?

Cuvettes with transparent caps can be purchased from various scientific supply companies, both online and in stores. They are also available through many laboratory equipment distributors.

3. Are there different sizes of cuvettes with transparent caps available?

Yes, there are various sizes of cuvettes with transparent caps available to accommodate different sample volumes. The most common sizes are 1 cm, 2 cm, and 5 cm, but other sizes may also be available.

4. Can cuvettes with transparent caps be reused?

It is not recommended to reuse cuvettes with transparent caps as they may become scratched or damaged, leading to inaccurate readings. It is best to use a new cuvette for each experiment or sample.

5. How should I clean and store cuvettes with transparent caps?

Cuvettes with transparent caps should be cleaned with a mild detergent or ethanol solution and rinsed with distilled water. They should be air-dried and stored in a clean, dry place to avoid any contamination. It is also important to handle the cuvettes carefully to avoid scratching the transparent caps.