Where Can I Find Information About the 2019 Programming Competition?

In summary, the conversation discusses a programming competition that took place in 2019 that the speaker is unable to find again. They share a link to a website with similar competitions and discuss the possibility of forming a team to compete. One participant mentions the language "brainf*ck" and its Turing completeness, and another mentions the concept of a "Turing tarpit". The conversation ends by clarifying that the competition is only open to teams from Nordic universities.
sbrothy
Gold Member
I seem to have found a programming competition øen (for 2019),but I cannot find it again. Anyone have a clue where this went?

Technology news on Phys.org
Thank you. What I really was looking for though was this:

https://nordic.icpc.io/

Cool! Is this a team event or one on one?

is there a required programming language?

I don't know but I'm intrigued. The problems from 2019 didn't look impossibly difficult.

Last edited:
That’s the way people feel when they watch game shows until they get on one and with just one question unanswered and you lose.

Another fun contest is the International Obfuscated C Code Contest.

A 1988 entry by Brian Westley calculates pi by examining itself.

C:
#define _ -F<00||--F-OO--;
int F=00,OO=00;main(){F_OO();printf("%1.3f\n",4.*-F/OO/OO);}F_OO()
{
            _-_-_-_
       _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
  _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
 _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
  _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
        _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
            _-_-_-_
}

Likes jedishrfu
Heh yeh. That reminds me of the language "brainf*ck". I seem to remember it being Turing complete, but I could be wrong...

Likes jedishrfu
jedishrfu said:
Cool! Is this a team event or one on one?
From the link in post #3
sbrothy said:
About half way down the page under:
How do I participate?
If you want to participate but don't have a complete team of three please contact your local contest director so they can try to help you connect with other people without teams.

Likes sbrothy and jedishrfu
sbrothy said:
Heh yeh. That reminds me of the language "brainf*ck". I seem to remember it being Turing complete, but I could be wrong...

Hah! Reading more about brainfsck I came across this expression:

"Turing tarpit".
- - - - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_tarpit

That was a new one to me. The word, not the concept, mind. :)

Tom.G said:
From the link in post #3

About half way down the page under:
How do I participate?
If you want to participate but don't have a complete team of three please contact your local contest director so they can try to help you connect with other people without teams.

But seriously, we could make a "Physics Forum" team. Couldn't we?

sbrothy said:
But seriously, we could make a "Physics Forum" team. Couldn't we?
Although the website could be clearer, this is a competition only for teams from universities based in Nordic countries.

Likes jedishrfu and sbrothy
Ah. Didn't read it thoroughly enough it would seem then. Shame that.

Likes jedishrfu

1. What is a programming competition?

A programming competition is a challenge where participants are given a set of problems to solve using computer programming. These competitions often have time limits and participants are judged based on their speed, accuracy, and efficiency in solving the problems.

2. How do I prepare for a programming competition?

To prepare for a programming competition, it is important to practice solving various types of problems and familiarize yourself with different programming languages and their syntax. It is also helpful to participate in mock competitions and work on improving your problem-solving skills.

3. What are the benefits of participating in programming competitions?

Participating in programming competitions can help improve your problem-solving skills, increase your knowledge of different programming languages, and provide an opportunity to network with other programmers. It can also be a great addition to your resume and help you stand out to potential employers.

4. What are some popular programming competitions?

Some popular programming competitions include Google Code Jam, ACM International Collegiate Programming Contest, and International Olympiad in Informatics. There are also many online coding platforms that host regular coding challenges and competitions.

5. Can anyone participate in programming competitions?

Yes, anyone with an interest in programming can participate in programming competitions. These competitions are not limited to students or professionals and can be a fun and educational experience for anyone at any skill level.