Where Can I Find Real-World Examples for Mechanical Vibration Problems?

In summary, the conversation is about a search for a vibration textbook that provides real world examples aligned with schematic representations of vibration problems. The person mentions that most vibration books use these schematics as a language for formulating and solving problems and suggests looking for examples within the actual text of the book. The document linked in the conversation contains many example problems in schematic form and the person suggests trying "Engineering Mechanics: Dynamics" by Meriam and Kraige for more practical examples.
Trying2Learn
TL;DR Summary
In search of a book
Good Morning

These documents suggest a good text on Vibrations.
https://www.academia.edu/34400682/M...mple_Problems?email_work_card=reading-history

If you read the PDF, you see MANY example problems.

However, each and every one is an abstract schematic.

I keep thinking: If only the author provided a supplement to aligh each abstract schematic with a REAL WORLD vibration problem/device.

I search for many books and they all do this.

Can someone suggest a book that ALSO provides REAL examples aligned with the schematics?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Most vibration textbooks will have a few examples with "real world" devices and a corresponding schematic. Rao comes to mind for example. But nearly every problem in every vibration book I'm aware of uses these schematics. These components (spring, mass, damper) are the basic building blocks of vibrations, the language in which these problems are formulated and solved.. It's like looking for a book on circuits and getting frustrated because you only see resistors, capacitors, and inductors.

Trying2Learn said:
Summary:: In search of a book

Good Morning

These documents suggest a good text on Vibrations.
https://www.academia.edu/34400682/M...mple_Problems?email_work_card=reading-history

If you read the PDF, you see MANY example problems.

However, each and every one is an abstract schematic.

I keep thinking: If only the author provided a supplement to aligh each abstract schematic with a REAL WORLD vibration problem/device.

I search for many books and they all do this.

Can someone suggest a book that ALSO provides REAL examples aligned with the schematics?
I would expect the connection to "real" applications to be made in the actual text of the chapters? That PDF you linked is just worked problems.

These examples in the pdf actually look pretty good. If you want a classic Mechanical Engineering book that treats such examples, try "Engineering Mechanics: Dynamics" from Meriam and Kraige.

1. What is the purpose of a book on mechanical vibrations?

A book on mechanical vibrations is designed to provide a comprehensive understanding of the fundamental principles and applications of mechanical vibrations. It covers topics such as vibration analysis, vibration control, and vibration measurement techniques.

2. Who is the target audience for a book on mechanical vibrations?

The target audience for a book on mechanical vibrations is typically undergraduate and graduate students in engineering and physics fields, as well as practicing engineers and researchers who work with mechanical systems.

3. What are some common real-world applications of mechanical vibrations?

Mechanical vibrations have a wide range of practical applications, including in the design and operation of machinery, vehicles, buildings, and bridges. They are also used in medical devices, musical instruments, and various industrial processes.

4. What are some key topics covered in a book on mechanical vibrations?

A book on mechanical vibrations may cover topics such as single and multi-degree of freedom systems, free and forced vibrations, damping and resonance, vibration isolation, and nonlinear vibrations. It may also include discussions on numerical methods and computer simulations for vibration analysis.

5. How can a book on mechanical vibrations benefit a reader?

A book on mechanical vibrations can provide readers with a solid foundation in the principles and applications of mechanical vibrations, which can be applied to various fields of engineering and science. It can also help readers understand and analyze real-world vibration problems, and develop effective solutions for them.