Where can I find reliable sources for my paper on contact electrification?

• Thread starter halleberry01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Contact
In summary, contact electrification, also known as triboelectric charging, occurs when two materials with different electronegativities come into contact and exchange electrons, resulting in a buildup of electrostatic charge. This process is influenced by the type and surface properties of the materials, as well as humidity and temperature. Some everyday examples of contact electrification include rubbing a balloon on your hair or shuffling your feet on a carpet. Contact electrification has practical applications in electrostatic painting, air purification, and energy harvesting through triboelectric nanogenerators.
halleberry01

Homework Statement

I'm currently doing a paper about contact electrification between insulators and I'm having trouble locating reliable and free sources for the said topic. I was hoping if any of you know a site that explains contact electrification and is decent enough to be presented as a source for a term paper. Thank you!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Where can I find reliable sources for my paper on contact electrification?

What is contact electrification?

Contact electrification, also known as triboelectric charging, is the process by which two materials come into contact and exchange electrons, resulting in a buildup of electrostatic charge on the surfaces of the materials.

How does contact electrification occur?

When two materials with different electronegativities come into contact, electrons from the more electron-donating material will transfer to the more electron-accepting material. This creates an imbalance of positive and negative charges on the surfaces of the materials, resulting in a buildup of static electricity.

What factors affect contact electrification?

The type of materials involved, their surface properties, and the amount of contact and friction between the materials can all influence the degree of contact electrification. Humidity and temperature can also play a role in the amount of static charge buildup.

What are some everyday examples of contact electrification?

Some common examples of contact electrification include rubbing a balloon on your hair to make it stick to the wall, shuffling your feet on a carpet and then touching a doorknob to create a shock, or rubbing a plastic comb on a wool sweater and using it to pick up small pieces of paper.

How is contact electrification used in practical applications?

Contact electrification is used in various practical applications such as electrostatic painting, electrostatic precipitation in air purifiers, and the operation of photocopiers and laser printers. It is also studied in the field of triboelectric nanogenerators, which aim to harvest energy from contact electrification for sustainable power generation.