Interface conditions on a graphene interface

In summary, the boundary conditions for P polarization in this 2D problem are given by$$E_z = 0 \text{ everywhere},$$$$\frac{dH_z}{dr}\Big|_1 = \frac{dH_z}{dr}\Big|_2 \text{ at the interface},$$$$\mathbf E^{\parallel}_{1} = \mathbf E^{\parallel}_{2} \text{ at the interface},$$$$\mathbf H^{\parallel}_{1} = \mathbf H^{\parallel}_{2} + \frac{i \omega}{c} \sigma \mathbf E^{\parallel}_{\text{avg}} \text{ at the interface}.$$
svletana

Homework Statement

I'm trying to do all the calculations for the attached paper, and I'm having trouble with the boundary conditions for P polarization. My question is, how can I arrive to those conditions? The problem is 2D, an infinite dielectric cylinder coated with a layer of graphene, surrounded by another dielectric, and we analyze the cross section as a 2 dimensional problem. This would be for the theory section of the paper only.

Homework Equations

I understand that for this mode the conditions are [itex]E_z = 0[/itex] everywhere and [itex]\frac{dH_z}{dr}
\Big|_1 = \frac{dH_z}{dr}\Big|_2[/itex] at the interface (this is condition 1). Also there's the Maxwell equation:
[tex]\nabla \times \textbf{H} = \frac{-i \omega}{c} \textbf{D}[/tex] (condition 2). Also the paper says the tangential component of E is continuous across the interface, and the tangential component of H has a "jump" across the interface that's proportional to the surface current of graphene.

The Attempt at a Solution

I started with the Maxwell equation, using cylindrical coordinates for the curl and also using that H is in the z direction only:

[tex]\frac{1}{r} \frac{dH_z}{d \phi} \hat{r} - \frac{dH_z}{dr} \hat{\phi} = \frac{-iw}{c} \epsilon \textbf{D}[/tex]

now I calculate the difference between both media and evaluate at the interface, r=R. The dependence of the field on the variable [itex]\phi[/itex] is [itex]e^{i n \phi}[/itex].

[tex] \frac{i n}{R} (H_{z_1} - H_{z_2}) \hat{r} - \left ( \frac{dH_{z_1}}{dr} - \frac{dH_{z_2}}{dr} \right ) \hat{\phi} = \frac{-i \omega}{c} \left ( \epsilon_1 D_1 - \epsilon_2 D_2 \right ) [/tex]

Now, from condition 1 the [itex]\hat{\phi}[/itex] term on the left of the equation should be zero, which tells us the derivatives respect to r are the same for both media, but in the paper there's the epsilons dividing each derivative as well. Also since the tangential component of E is continuous then the right side of the equation is zero as well?

I don't seem to be arriving at the same conditions as they are stated on the paper, and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong! Interface conditions are hard :(

Attachments

• Jopt17 (2015).pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 265
Physics news on Phys.org
A:You have to consider the boundary conditions for the tangential $\mathbf E$ and $\mathbf H$ fields. The boundary conditions for the tangential $\mathbf E$ field are given by$$\mathbf E^{\parallel}_{1} = \mathbf E^{\parallel}_{2},$$where $\mathbf E^{\parallel}_{1}$ and $\mathbf E^{\parallel}_{2}$ denote the tangential components of the electric field in the two media at the interface, respectively. Similarly, the boundary conditions for the tangential $\mathbf H$ field are given by$$\mathbf H^{\parallel}_{1} = \mathbf H^{\parallel}_{2} + \frac{i \omega}{c} \sigma \mathbf E^{\parallel}_{\text{avg}},$$where $\mathbf H^{\parallel}_{1}$ and $\mathbf H^{\parallel}_{2}$ denote the tangential components of the magnetic field in the two media at the interface, respectively, and $\mathbf E^{\parallel}_{\text{avg}} = \frac{1}{2}\left(\mathbf E^{\parallel}_{1}+\mathbf E^{\parallel}_{2}\right)$. The last term on the RHS of the equation is due to the presence of a surface current on the graphene layer. Here, $\sigma$ denotes the surface conductivity of the graphene layer.

1. What are interface conditions on a graphene interface?

Interface conditions on a graphene interface refer to the set of physical and chemical properties that arise at the boundary between two different materials or phases in a graphene system.

2. Why are interface conditions important in graphene research?

Interface conditions can significantly affect the electronic, mechanical, and thermal properties of graphene, making them crucial in understanding and controlling the behavior of this material in various applications.

3. What factors influence interface conditions on a graphene interface?

The properties of the materials involved, the type of interface (e.g. metal-graphene, graphene-substrate), and the fabrication method all play a role in determining the interface conditions on a graphene interface.

4. How are interface conditions on a graphene interface studied?

Interface conditions can be studied using a variety of experimental techniques such as scanning probe microscopy, spectroscopy, and electron microscopy. Computational simulations and theoretical models are also commonly used to investigate the interface properties of graphene.

5. How can interface conditions on a graphene interface be controlled?

Interface conditions can be controlled through various methods, including surface modification techniques, changing the graphene-substrate distance, and using different fabrication processes. Additionally, understanding the fundamental mechanisms behind interface conditions can aid in developing new strategies for controlling them.