Where Can I Find Spectral Data for Schwartz Reagent (NMR/MS/IR)?

• Thread starter cep
  • Start date
In summary, Schwartz reagent is a chemical reagent used in organic synthesis and spectroscopic techniques to selectively label and analyze alkyne functional groups in molecules. It works by reacting with alkenes to form an acetylene ion, allowing for the identification and differentiation of terminal and internal alkynes. However, it has limitations in its use with other functional groups and can be harsh and produce byproducts in certain techniques.
cep
Schwartz reagent-- NMR/MS/IR

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for some spectral data on Schwartz reagent (ZrCp2ClH); at the very least, I'd like to find a 1H NMR spectrum, but I would also like to see mass spec and IR spectra. I have had zero luck finding a paper that reports characterization data of the reagent itself. I've used ISI, SciFinder and Reaxys. Anyone know of any papers or textbooks?

Thanks,

-Carol

Chemistry news on Phys.org

Related to Where Can I Find Spectral Data for Schwartz Reagent (NMR/MS/IR)?

What is Schwartz reagent?

Schwartz reagent is a chemical reagent used in organic synthesis to convert alkenes into the corresponding alkynes. It is composed of dimethylsulfoxonium methylide and a strong base, typically sodium hydride.

What is the purpose of using Schwartz reagent in NMR?

Schwartz reagent is used in NMR (nuclear magnetic resonance) spectroscopy to selectively label alkyne functional groups in molecules. This allows for easier identification and analysis of the alkyne groups in the molecule.

How does Schwartz reagent work in mass spectrometry (MS)?

In mass spectrometry, Schwartz reagent reacts with alkenes to form a dimethylsulfonium ion, which then fragments to produce an acetylene ion with a mass corresponding to the original alkene. This allows for the identification and analysis of alkenes in a sample.

What information can be obtained from using Schwartz reagent in IR spectroscopy?

In IR (infrared) spectroscopy, Schwartz reagent can be used to distinguish between terminal and internal alkynes. Terminal alkynes will show a strong absorption band around 2140 cm^-1, while internal alkynes will show a weak band around 2100 cm^-1.

Are there any limitations to using Schwartz reagent in these techniques?

One limitation of using Schwartz reagent is that it only works with alkenes and not other functional groups. It also requires a strong base, which can be harsh and potentially damaging to sensitive molecules. Additionally, in NMR and MS, the formation of byproducts can interfere with the analysis of the sample.