Where did the inertia go in anti-matter reaction?

In summary, the conversation discusses the momentum in a system when an electron and positron annihilate each other. The system consists of three particles: an electron, a positron, and a neutron. The electron and positron are in motion towards the center, while the neutron is in orbit around the system's center. The neutron's circular rotation causes the electron and positron to have a minor spiral trajectory towards each other. Upon impact, the two particles annihilate and only photons remain. This conversion of energy from mass results in the neutron losing its rotational inertia. The conversation also raises questions about the resulting linear momentum and energy of the system after the annihilation. The expert provides a precise summary of the conversation and clarifies the understanding of the
skeleton
This question is about momentum in a system when an electron and positron annihilate each other.

Consider the following, please:

SITUATION
Consider a system of 3 particles. They are in motion (which I will explain with Earth as the geometric frame).

The electron (#1) is moving, coming from the north, moving towards the center.
The positron (#2) is moving, coming from the south, moving towards the center.
The neutron (#3) is in the equatorial plane, rotating in orbit around the system's center.
(#1 and #2 are collinear in their trajectory (sort of), while #3 is perpendicular).

As the electron and positron move towards each other, they actually have a minor spiral trajectory because of the neutron's circular rotation. Their mutual precession is opposite to the orbital orientation of the neutron. This minor feature should be immaterial to my later point. The neutron is able to orbit around the system's center because of the presence of the electron and positron (which offer a gravitational field). While the neutron has non-trivial rotational inertia (from the reference point of the first two particles), the system as a whole can have zero rotational inertia.

OUTCOME
Upon eventual impact, the electron and positron annihilate, with only photons emerging.
e− + e+ → γ + γ

The energy is converted as, E=m*c^2 => E=h*v. The mass of the two particles is converted to energy. But mass is now gone. Since the former pair of particles can no longer offer a gravitation field, then the remaining neutron can no longer orbit - there is no mass particles for it to interact with. So, mathematically the neutron's rotational inertia must go to zero. That is OK, since the system as a whole originally had zero rotational inertia, and now the photons also have zero rotational inertia. So far, so good regarding rotational inertia.

But, how does the neutron itself transition from having some angular momentum (on its associated orbital movement) to having no rotational inertia?

QUANDARY
1) Does this mean the neutron flies off on a tangential linear path? I hope not, because this would introduce a linear momentum that the original system never had.

2) Does this mean the resulting two photons have an equivalent virtual (or maybe real) linear momentum which together is opposite to the ensuing linear momentum of the neutron?

3) Does the annihilation reaction impart some of its mutual energy (via work) onto the neutron in reducing the neutron's angular momentum to zero? If so, then the gamma radiation would have reduced energy, where some of it was given to the neutron.
Force, F = delta(r X p)/delta(t)
Energy, E = F*r

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Matter and energy equally contribute as gravitational source. The photons have the same 'invariant mass' as a system as the original electron/positron pair did. Thus, the same strength of gravitational source.

In GR, the source of gravity is called the stress/energy tensor for a reason.

Forget the neutron for a moment: the annihilation conserves energy, momentum, and angular momentum. A pair of photons definitely can have angular momentum.

skeleton said:
Consider a system of 3 particles. They are in motion (which I will explain with Earth as the geometric frame).

The electron (#1) is moving, coming from the north, moving towards the center.
The positron (#2) is moving, coming from the south, moving towards the center.
The neutron (#3) is in the equatorial plane, rotating in orbit around the system's center.
(#1 and #2 are collinear in their trajectory (sort of), while #3 is perpendicular).

As the electron and positron move towards each other, they actually have a minor spiral trajectory because of the neutron's circular rotation. Their mutual precession is opposite to the orbital orientation of the neutron. This minor feature should be immaterial to my later point. The neutron is able to orbit around the system's center because of the presence of the electron and positron (which offer a gravitational field). While the neutron has non-trivial rotational inertia (from the reference point of the first two particles), the system as a whole can have zero rotational inertia.

I honestly can't parse what you are trying to say. Are you talking about spherical coordinates when you say "Earth as a geometrical frame"? What is "center", the origin or the equator? Collinear, sort of? Rotating in orbit? Gravitational field of isolated electrons and positrons orbiting some third point in space and then somehow finding a way to collide - how did you manage to arrange this? Speaking precisely is key to thinking precisely in physics, and also to communicating physics questions. :wink:

JeffKoch said:
I honestly can't parse what you are trying to say. Are you talking about spherical coordinates when you say "Earth as a geometrical frame"? What is "center", the origin or the equator? Collinear, sort of? Rotating in orbit? Gravitational field of isolated electrons and positrons orbiting some third point in space and then somehow finding a way to collide - how did you manage to arrange this? Speaking precisely is key to thinking precisely in physics, and also to communicating physics questions. :wink:

If I was fully precise in my question, then any answer would immediately follow. So your recognition of my imprecision suggests the need for my question. (Enough of philosophy.)

Let me try again: imagine Earth as a reference frame although the planet itself does not exist in my scenario. One electron starts at the surface of the north pole and travels towards the center of the earth. The positron has the opposite trajectory: it starts at the south pole and is traveling also towards the center. The neutron is orbiting around the circumference of the equator.

PAllen,

(I forgot that photons are bent by a gravitational field.)

Thanks for your elegant explanation. All clear now.

1. What is anti-matter and how does it relate to inertia?

Anti-matter is a form of matter that has the opposite charge and spin of regular matter. Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its motion. In anti-matter reactions, the matter and anti-matter particles annihilate each other, releasing energy and decreasing the overall inertia of the system.

2. How does the concept of inertia apply to anti-matter reactions?

Inertia is a fundamental concept in physics that applies to all types of matter, including anti-matter. In anti-matter reactions, the inertia of the particles involved is conserved, meaning it remains constant before and after the reaction. However, the total inertia of the system decreases due to the release of energy.

3. Where does the inertia go in an anti-matter reaction?

The inertia does not disappear in an anti-matter reaction; it is simply converted into energy. This energy is released in the form of photons (light) and other types of particles, such as neutrinos. The total inertia of the system decreases because some of it is converted into this energy.

4. How is inertia measured in anti-matter reactions?

Inertia is measured in the same way in anti-matter reactions as it is in regular matter reactions. It is a property of matter that can be calculated using its mass and velocity. In anti-matter reactions, the inertia of the particles involved is conserved, so the total inertia of the system can be calculated using the inertia of the individual particles.

5. Can the inertia in an anti-matter reaction be manipulated or controlled?

No, the inertia of particles in an anti-matter reaction cannot be manipulated or controlled. Inertia is a fundamental property of matter that cannot be changed or altered. However, scientists can manipulate the conditions of the reaction to control the release of energy, which can affect the total inertia of the system.