Where Do I Begin? Overcoming Fear and Building Foundations in Physics

• Thread starter noork85
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: I think the time has come for me to try physics. I am very scared, but I think it is important that I do this. I have been avoiding it for as long as possible, but I think the time has come. I am looking for advice on how to start.
noork85
im a college student and i actually didnt attend high school so I've never had any exposure to physics. I've been avoiding it as long as possible but i think the time has come when i should finally attempt it. I am very, very scared. i don't know where to begin.

I purchased the book Fundamentals of physics by halliday and resnick since it was recommended here alot. i read chapter one and started doing the sample problem...and whoa! i had no idea how they solved it! am i missing something? where should i begin? (not the problem but in understanding physics in general)

the problem was: The world’s largest ball of string is about 2 m in radius. To
the nearest order of magnitude, what is the total length L of
the string in the ball?

any help will be appreciated because i want to take organic chemistry II and physics I in the fall semester. i have roughly three months to prepare.

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you first determine the diameter of the string say 5mm and calculate the volume for 1meter of string.

Then compute the volume of the ball using 4/3 PI r^3 formula.

Ask you self how many 1 meter strings could fit inside the ball?

Feynman used to like these problems like how locksmiths work in Chicago? It takes some commonsense and stats to answer the question.

my problem is that i dnt even know i have to think that.
how do i start thinking in terms of physics? I am COMPLETELY new to physics. never touched a physics book in my life until two days ago

noork85 said:
my problem is that i dnt even know i have to think that.
how do i start thinking in terms of physics? I am COMPLETELY new to physics. never touched a physics book in my life until two days ago

Everything you interact with is based somehow on physics so just look around and wonder about things.

Here's some more about getting in the right frame of mind to solve problems:

http://sciencegeekgirl.wordpress.com/2008/07/22/how-do-we-think-about-physics-problems/

and then there's youtube:

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
Last edited by a moderator:

What is physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the universe at both the macroscopic and microscopic levels.

Why is it important to study physics?

Physics is important because it helps us understand the world around us. It allows us to explain natural phenomena, make predictions about future events, and develop new technologies that improve our daily lives. It also provides a solid foundation for many other scientific disciplines, such as chemistry and biology.

Do I need a strong math background to learn physics?

While some math skills are necessary for understanding certain concepts in physics, you do not need to be a math genius to learn physics. A basic understanding of algebra and trigonometry is usually sufficient for introductory physics courses.

What topics are typically covered in a physics course?

Most introductory physics courses cover topics such as mechanics (motion and forces), thermodynamics (heat and energy), electromagnetism (electricity and magnetism), and optics (light and optics). More advanced courses may also cover topics such as quantum mechanics and relativity.

Is it too late to start learning physics?

It is never too late to start learning physics! While it may be more challenging to pick up later in life, with dedication and effort, anyone can learn and understand the concepts of physics. Plus, the knowledge gained from studying physics can be applied to many aspects of daily life and other fields of study.