Where do I fit? Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos, and High Energy Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of combining Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos with Theoretical Physics in a specific field. The forum member expresses their interest in this intersection and asks for recommendations. The response introduces the field of Nonlinear Physics, which studies the behavior of complex systems and their connection to fundamental physics principles. It also mentions a subfield called Nonlinear Quantum Mechanics, which applies Nonlinear Dynamics to the study of quantum systems. The forum member is encouraged to explore graduate programs and reach out to researchers in this field.
Niteo
Hello all,

My question is really simple. I really like working on problems that involve Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos, and I also really enjoy fields of Theoretical Physics that probe the nature of reality (quantum mechanics, high energy & elementary particle physics, string theory, etc.) I have the 'crazy' idea that I would really like to work in a field that takes the concepts used in the studies of Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos and applies them to the sorts of areas of Theoretical Physics that I mentioned, but as of yet I have not been able to find this sort of field. I am sure I am not the first one to think of this, and my primary motivation for this is that I would like to explore the possibilities of fundamental particles (or objects, or pairs of objects) that inherently behave in complex, nontrivial ways (either on their own, or in relation to one another). As I write this, I realize that it may be the case that I simply do not understand theoretical physics enough and that the ideas of Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos are already in use in Theoretical Physics, but hey that's why I am asking for some direction here. Thinking about this further, I suppose the "strings" of string theory interact in nontrivial ways, but again, I'm asking because I don't know.

If anyone knows of a field where Nonlinear Dynamics meets Theoretical Physics, I would be delighted to hear about it. I still have two years until I receive my Bachelors degrees in Mathematics & Physics, so essentially I am looking to apply to a grad program that would combine these two things that I find really exciting. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your interest in the intersection of Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos with Theoretical Physics. Your idea of applying concepts from one field to another is a valuable approach in science, and it is great to see your enthusiasm for exploring this possibility.

I am happy to inform you that there is indeed a field that combines Nonlinear Dynamics and Theoretical Physics - it is called Nonlinear Physics. This field involves studying the behavior of complex systems and how they can exhibit chaotic, nonlinear behavior. Nonlinear Physics also explores the fundamental principles of physics and how they can lead to nontrivial and complex behavior.

In particular, there is a subfield of Nonlinear Physics called Nonlinear Quantum Mechanics, which specifically applies the concepts of Nonlinear Dynamics to the study of quantum systems. This field is still relatively new and there is a lot of ongoing research in this area, so it may be a great opportunity for you to explore your interests in both Nonlinear Dynamics and Theoretical Physics.

I would recommend looking into graduate programs in Nonlinear Physics or Nonlinear Quantum Mechanics, and also reaching out to professors or researchers in this field to learn more about their work and potential opportunities for you to join their research team. Your background in Mathematics and Physics will be valuable in this field, and I am sure you will find many exciting possibilities to explore.

I wish you all the best in your academic pursuits and hope that you find a program that combines your passions for Nonlinear Dynamics and Theoretical Physics. Keep up the great work!

Scientist in Nonlinear Physics

1. What is Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos?

Nonlinear dynamics and chaos is a branch of science that studies the behavior of complex systems that are highly sensitive to initial conditions. It involves the use of mathematical models to understand the dynamics of systems that exhibit complex, unpredictable behavior.

2. How does Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos relate to real-world phenomena?

Nonlinear dynamics and chaos can be observed in a wide range of natural and man-made systems, such as weather patterns, stock market fluctuations, and biological systems. It helps us understand and predict the behavior of these systems, and has practical applications in fields such as engineering and economics.

3. What is the significance of Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos in scientific research?

Nonlinear dynamics and chaos have revolutionized the way we think about and study complex systems. It has allowed us to uncover patterns and relationships in seemingly chaotic systems, and has led to new insights and discoveries across various fields of science.

4. What is High Energy Physics?

High energy physics is a branch of physics that studies the fundamental particles and forces of nature at extremely high energies. This includes the study of subatomic particles, the interactions between them, and the laws that govern their behavior at the most fundamental levels.

5. How does High Energy Physics contribute to our understanding of the universe?

High energy physics plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe, as it allows us to explore the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern them. It has led to groundbreaking discoveries, such as the Higgs boson, and continues to push the boundaries of our knowledge about the universe.