Where do i learn about brownian motion?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of learning about Brownian motion in a specific class and the mention of a resource from Albert Einstein on the topic. It is suggested that the topic could be covered in a course on diffusion or physical transport phenomena, such as a graduate course in statistical thermodynamics.
iScience
not sure if this is the right section to post this question, but i was wondering in what class i would learn about brownian motion. I took undergraduate thermodynamics and i feel that it could be mathematically described with the material already covered in my thermo class, but is there a class that covers this? wat class?

Physics news on Phys.org
well the class i took was titled 'themodynamics, statistical mechanics, & stat theory'. so I'm guessing you're referring to a grad class in stat. thermodynamics?

1. What is Brownian motion?

Brownian motion is the random movement of particles suspended in a fluid, caused by collisions with smaller particles in the fluid. It was first observed by Robert Brown in 1827.

2. How is Brownian motion related to thermodynamics?

Brownian motion is related to thermodynamics through the concept of entropy. Entropy is a measure of the randomness or disorder of a system, and Brownian motion contributes to this randomness.

3. What is the significance of Brownian motion in physics?

Brownian motion is significant in physics because it provides evidence for the existence of atoms and molecules, which were previously only theorized. It also has applications in many fields such as biology, chemistry, and engineering.

4. How can I observe Brownian motion?

Brownian motion can be observed using a microscope to view the random movements of particles in a fluid. It can also be observed indirectly through experiments and simulations.

5. Where can I learn more about Brownian motion?

You can learn more about Brownian motion through textbooks and online resources such as scientific articles and videos. You can also attend lectures or seminars on the topic and conduct experiments to further your understanding.