Do Fractals have anything to do with Brownian motion?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between Fractals and Brownian motion and questions whether fractals have been used to explain Brownian motion. It is noted that Brownian motion was successfully explained before fractals became a subject of study and a source is provided for further information.
Herricane
I watched a show on Fractals and it sort of remind me of Brownian motion. So my question is has anyone ever used fractals to explain Brownian motion?

Physics news on Phys.org
Herricane said:
I watched a show on Fractals and it sort of remind me of Brownian motion. So my question is has anyone ever used fractals to explain Brownian motion?

I believe that Brownian motion was successfully explained before fractals were solidified as an object of study.

Herricane said:

yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractional_Brownian_motion

What are fractals?

Fractals are mathematical objects that exhibit self-similarity at different scales. They are geometric patterns that repeat themselves infinitely, creating complex and intricate structures.

What is Brownian motion?

Brownian motion is the random movement of particles suspended in a fluid. It was first observed by Robert Brown in 1827 and later explained by Albert Einstein in 1905 as the result of collisions between the particles and molecules in the fluid.

Do fractals have a connection to Brownian motion?

Yes, fractals and Brownian motion are closely related. In fact, the mathematical equation for Brownian motion is a type of fractal known as a random walk. This means that the path of a particle undergoing Brownian motion is similar to the patterns found in fractals, with self-similarity at different scales.

How are fractals and Brownian motion used in science?

Fractals and Brownian motion are used in various fields of science, including physics, chemistry, biology, and economics. They have been used to model the growth of plants and trees, the behavior of stock market prices, and the diffusion of molecules in a cell, among other applications.

Is there a real-life example of fractals and Brownian motion?

A classic example of fractals and Brownian motion in real life is the flight pattern of a flock of birds. The movement of each individual bird is unpredictable and random, but when viewed as a whole, the flock exhibits a self-similar pattern at different scales, similar to a fractal.