Where do mathematical inequalities come from?

In summary, inequality statements such as AM-GM and Bernoulli's inequality are motivated by the desire to communicate. They are used to express that something occupies all values up to (and maybe including) a certain one. This concept is similar to saying "I am working all days from now up to next Thursday inclusive" in everyday language. Mathematics is often compared to a language, and inequality statements are a concise way to express a range of values.
Terrell
what do you think are the inspirations or motivations that lead to inequality statements like am-gm, bernoullie's inequality, etc...? are they inspired by physics, engineering...? learning them for the first time made me wonder where they came from. thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Inequality statements are inspired by the desire to communicate.
Every time you want to say that something occupies all values up to (and maybe including) a certain one, you will need an inequality statement.
Like, I am working all "days from now up to next thursday inclusive" is an inequality statement.

Likes symbolipoint and Terrell
Simon Bridge's response makes so good sense that I want to apply TWO "like"s to it but doing so only cancels the first "like".

Likes Simon Bridge
Maths is a language ... :)

For instance:
If d is a day in which I am working, and today is day a, and "next Thursday" is day t, then I am working: ##a\leq d \leq t##
If I start work tomorrow, instead, then ##a < d \leq t## ... it's a nice short way to write it down.
If my days are numbered (and I don't count parts of days) then ##a < d \leq t## is the same as ##a+1 \leq d \leq t## because a+1 will be the day after today.

Likes Terrell

1. What is a mathematical inequality?

A mathematical inequality is a statement that compares two quantities, expressing that one is greater than, less than, or not equal to the other. It is denoted by symbols such as <, >, ≤, or ≥.

2. Where do mathematical inequalities come from?

Mathematical inequalities come from the need to compare and represent relationships between quantities. They can arise from real-life situations, logical reasoning, or mathematical principles.

3. How are mathematical inequalities used?

Mathematical inequalities are used to represent and solve problems involving comparisons and relationships between quantities. They are important in fields such as economics, engineering, and physics.

4. What is the difference between an inequality and an equation?

An inequality compares two quantities while an equation states that two quantities are equal. Inequalities have a range of possible solutions, while equations have a single solution.

5. How do you solve a mathematical inequality?

To solve a mathematical inequality, you can use algebraic techniques such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to isolate the variable on one side of the inequality symbol. You must also consider the direction of the inequality when solving.