Help with this inequality needed for a proof in a textbook

In summary, In problem 4 we use properties of logarithms to combine the right hand side of ln into a single logarithm. Then we raise both side of the inequality to a power of e. Which leads us to the desired inequality. However, when I try to be prove 4 using 5, it leads to circular reasoning. Since, If I prove 5 first without using problem 4, I can do a proof by contradiction. So, I am asking for help in completing 4. If you want to do 4 first, try differentiating the natural log a couple times. But, if you want to follow what is asked, you should use ##f(x)=\ln(x)## and not ##
MidgetDwarf
Homework Statement
Let a>0, b>0, and 0<λ<1 begiven. Show that ln(λa + (1 − λ)b) ≥ λ ln a + (1 − λ) ln b.
Relevant Equations
We were given a few exercises on a worksheet in order understand a proof in a Topology book.
The listed HW problem was 4.

Now, For problem 5, we have:
(AM-GMInequality)Let a > 0,b > 0,and 0 < λ <1 be given. Show that (a^λ)(b^(1−λ)) ≤ λa+(1−λ)b.
Note that if we prove problem 4, the proof for problem 5 follows directly. We use properties of logarithms to combine the right hand side of ln into a single logarithm. Then we raise both side of the inequality to a power of e. Which leads us to the desired inequality.

But, when I try to be prove 4 using 5, it leads to circular reasoning. Since, If I prove 5 first without using problem 4, I can do a proof by contradiction.

Assume instead that ln(λa + (1 − λ)b) < λ ln a + (1 − λ) ln b. Which leads to (a^λ)(b^(1−λ)) > λa+(1−λ)b. But by problem 5, we know that (a^λ)(b^(1−λ)) ≤ λa+(1−λ)b.

QED

I want to avoid circular reasoning and complete the problems in order. Was wondering if anyone can give me a hint and point me in the right direction on how to complete 4? I tried contraction, but I do not think this is the way to go.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
if you want to do 4 first, try differentiating the natural log a couple times.

Personally I'd do 5 first and show it implies 4 -- done correctly I don't see there's no contradiction.

Likes MidgetDwarf
You are basically asked to prove that ##\log## is concave. Do you know that a twice differentiable function is concave if and only if its second derivative is non-positive (equivalently, a twice differentiable function is convex iff its second derivative is non-negative)? In that case, the concavity becomes trivial since $$\log(x)'' = \left(\frac{1}{x}\right)' = \frac{-1}{x^2} \leq 0$$

If you don't know this fact, you might want to attempt proving it (Hint: Taylor's theorem).

Likes Delta2 and MidgetDwarf
Thanks to both of you for your help. I have mulled over the hint since the first response.

Thanks for reminding me of what concave is, it was something I knew 6 years ago but never used it again. What I am having trouble seeing is what function I am differentiating exactly. This is what I am thinking

Proof:

Let f(x) = ln a. So f(x)'= 0. Then f(x)''=0. (Derivative of a constant is 0); Therefore, f(x) = ln a is concave. Thus, by definition of concave, we arrive at the desired inequality. Not sure if I forced the proof. Maybe I am thinking too hard.

whoops I should replace the a with b in my proof.

The function in question is f(x)=ln(x). That function is concave.

MidgetDwarf said:
Thanks to both of you for your help. I have mulled over the hint since the first response.

Thanks for reminding me of what concave is, it was something I knew 6 years ago but never used it again. What I am having trouble seeing is what function I am differentiating exactly. This is what I am thinking

Proof:

Let f(x) = ln a. So f(x)'= 0. Then f(x)''=0. (Derivative of a constant is 0); Therefore, f(x) = ln a is concave. Thus, by definition of concave, we arrive at the desired inequality.Not sure if I forced the proof. Maybe I am thinking too hard.

You should use ##f(x)=\ln(x)## and not ##f(x)=\ln(a)## (which is constant) If you can show it is concave it will follow (definition of concavity) that ##\ln(tx+(1-t)y)\geq t\ln(x)+(1-t)\ln(y)## for all ##x,y>0, 0\leq t \leq 1##. This is what you are asked to prove if you take ##t=\lambda, x=a, y=b##.

Refer again to post #3 for the correct calculation.

to get the strictness of the convexity of the exponential function -- or equivalently the strict negative convexity of the natural log-- I think using the second derivative really is the way to go. If you don't care about strictness, for the record, here's the way to do it in reverse (5) ##\implies ## (4).
for ##p\in (0,1)##

##\exp\big(p\cdot x_1 + (1-p)x_2\big)##
##= \exp\big(p\cdot x_1\big)\exp\big((1-p)x_2\big)##
## = \exp\big( x_1\big)^p\exp\big(x_2\big)^{1-p}##
##\leq p\cdot \exp\big( x_1\big)+(1-p)\cdot\exp\big(x_2\big) ##
which proves that the exponential function is convex. Now take the natural log of each side and use the substitution ##y_i = e^{x_i}##, ##\ln(y_i) = x_i## which gives

##p\cdot \ln(y_1) + (1-p)\ln(y_2)##
## =p\cdot x_1 + (1-p)x_2 ##
##\leq \ln\Big(p\cdot \exp\big( x_1\big)+(1-p)\cdot\exp\big(x_2\big)\Big) ##
## \ln\Big(p\cdot y_1+(1-p)\cdot y_2\Big)##

Thank you. Both of you. As a result, I was able to prove Holder's and Mikowski's Inequality using my initial question and the special case that arises from it.

• Love
Likes member 587159

1. How do I solve an inequality?

To solve an inequality, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the inequality symbol and keep the constant terms on the other side. Then, you can use the properties of inequality to simplify and find the solution.

2. What are the properties of inequality?

The properties of inequality include addition and subtraction property, multiplication and division property, and the property of combining like terms. These properties allow you to manipulate the inequality and find the solution.

3. Can I use the same methods for solving equations to solve inequalities?

Yes, you can use the same methods for solving equations to solve inequalities. However, you need to be careful when multiplying or dividing by a negative number, as it will change the direction of the inequality symbol.

4. How do I know if my solution is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging it back into the original inequality and see if it satisfies the inequality. If it does, then your solution is correct. If not, you may have made a mistake in your calculations.

5. Can I graph an inequality to find the solution?

Yes, you can graph an inequality on a number line to find the solution. The solution will be the region on the number line that satisfies the inequality. However, this method may not be accurate for more complex inequalities.