Where does a polytropic EoS come from?

• I
  • Thread starter Vrbic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polytropic
In summary, the easiest approximation for the equation of state of compact objects like neutron stars and white dwarfs is a polytrope. There are two types of polytropic equations of state, one where the pressure is determined by the density and another where temperature dependence is included. The former is a good approximation for degenerate fermions in white dwarfs and neutron stars, where the temperature is low enough for the Pauli exclusion principle to control the pressure. "Black Holes, White Dwarfs, and Neutron stars: The Physics of Compact Objects" by Shapiro and Teukolsky is a recommended text for further understanding.
Vrbic
I have read few texts about compact objects (neutron stars, white dwarfs) and the easiest approximation of equation of state is taken as a polytrope. But nowhere is written why, how can I derive it or from what (or I missed it). Can someone explain me it or refer me to some text?
Thank you.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Try "Black Holes, White Dwarfs, and Neutron stars: The Physics of Compact Objects" by Shapiro and Teukolsky.

There are two flavors of polytropic equations of state that see common usage. One is where the equation of state really is polytropic (i.e., the pressure really is determined by the density, which is a low-temperature approximation called degeneracy pressure that applies to fermions approaching their Pauli-exclusion-principle controlled ground state), and the other is where the temperature dependence is important to the pressure but is subsumed into the density dependence (so that latter type is not a true polytrope, but can be treated as such because it simplifies things, because it allows you to ignore the explicit temperature structure). You seem to be interested in the first type, where degeneracy has driven the temperature down so low that you are close to reaching the zero-temperature approximation for the fermionic pressure. That's a decent approximation in white dwarfs and neutron stars, and then the pressure depends primarily only on the density, you don't need to know the temperature because the Pauli exclusion principle has made it so low. (Of course, "low temperature" is a relative term, these stars are pretty hot by stellar standards but their temperature is low in the sense that kT is way lower than the kinetic energy per degenerate particle.)

1. What is a polytropic EoS?

A polytropic equation of state (EoS) is a mathematical relation that describes the thermodynamic properties of a system in terms of pressure, volume, and temperature. It is commonly used to model the behavior of gases and fluids under various conditions.

2. Where did the concept of a polytropic EoS originate?

The concept of a polytropic EoS was first introduced by the Swiss mathematician and physicist Daniel Bernoulli in the 18th century. It was later refined and expanded upon by other scientists such as Leonhard Euler and Pierre-Simon Laplace.

3. How is a polytropic EoS derived?

A polytropic EoS is derived from the first law of thermodynamics, which relates the internal energy of a system to its heat and work. By making assumptions about the system, such as constant temperature or constant pressure, the EoS can be simplified and expressed in terms of a single variable, known as the polytropic exponent.

4. What are the applications of a polytropic EoS?

The polytropic EoS is widely used in various fields of science and engineering, including fluid dynamics, thermodynamics, and astrophysics. It is particularly useful in modeling the behavior of gases in combustion engines, industrial processes, and the interiors of stars and planets.

5. Are there any limitations to using a polytropic EoS?

While a polytropic EoS is a convenient and versatile tool, it does have its limitations. It is most accurate for ideal gases, and may not accurately describe the behavior of real gases and fluids under extreme conditions. Additionally, the assumptions made in deriving the EoS may not always hold true for all systems.