Where does gravitation of earth and sun cancel

In summary: So that's one way of doing it.In summary, the equation used to find the distance at which the gravitational forces due to the Sun and the Earth cancel for a spacecraft going from Earth towards the Sun is: GM_e/r_e^2 = GM_s/(r-r_e)^2. This equation takes into account the masses of both the Earth and the Sun, as well as the distance from the Earth to the Sun and the distance being solved for. By solving this equation, the distance at which the gravitational forces cancel can be determined.
robvba

Homework Statement

For a spacecraft going from the Earth toward the Sun, at what distance from the Earth will the gravitational forces due to the Sun and the Earth cancel?
Earth's mass: Me
the Sun's mass: Ms
Earth-Sun distance: r

Homework Equations

F=Gm1m2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

a bit brain dead. please help

Physics news on Phys.org

robvba said:

Homework Statement

For a spacecraft going from the Earth toward the Sun, at what distance from the Earth will the gravitational forces due to the Sun and the Earth cancel?
Earth's mass: Me
the Sun's mass: Ms
Earth-Sun distance: r

Homework Equations

F=Gm1m2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

a bit brain dead. please help

It says where forces cancel. Hmmm... Cancel equal cancel equal which to choose.

I figure that F has to equal 0 and that one equation has to equal another.

Perhaps try this,

[tex] \frac{GM_e}{r^2} = \frac{GM_s}{(r_e - r)^2} [/tex]

Can you explain to me why this is the case?

Rake-MC said:
Perhaps try this,

gravity experienced due to Earth on the sun = gravity experienced due to sun on the earth...?

No, this equation is slightly different.

It's from [tex] a = \frac{GM}{r^2} [/tex]

So you can see it only takes into account 1 mass. It's saying that at distance 'r', this is the acceleration caused by mass M. Regardless of the mass of the object it's acting on.

Rake-MC said:
Perhaps try this,

It's impossible to "explain" without knowing what the variables mean! I can guess that "re" is either the radius of the Earth distance from the Earth to the space ship, but neither of those makes this formula true. Once denominator should be the distance from the Earth to the space ship, squared, and one should be the distance from the sun to the space ship, squared. Is r the distance from the Earth to the sun and re the distance from the sun to the earth? Robva initially designated r as the distance from the sun to the earth. If you meant re as the distance from the Earth to the space ship, then the denominator on the left has to be re2.

Sorry yes I should have explained. I think G and the two masses speak for themselves. r is the distance you are solving for (where gravitational force of both masses are equal). re is the mean distance from the centre of the Earth to the centre of the sun.

But by re-reading his variables I realize I got r and re backwards.

[tex]
\frac{GM_e}{r_e^2} = \frac{GM_s}{(r - r_e)^2}
[tex]

So I re-wrote it with his variables. r being the distance from Earth to sun. r_e being distance we're solving for.

Apologies.

EDIT: I've solved the equation and it works.

Related to Where does gravitation of earth and sun cancel

1. Where exactly does the gravitation of Earth and Sun cancel?

The gravitation of Earth and Sun cancels at a point called the barycenter, which is the center of mass of the Earth-Sun system. This point is approximately 1.5 million kilometers away from the center of the Sun, towards the direction of Earth's orbit.

2. How does the barycenter affect the motion of Earth and Sun?

The barycenter affects the motion of Earth and Sun by causing both objects to orbit around it. This is because the barycenter is the point where the gravitational forces of Earth and Sun are equal and opposite, resulting in a balanced motion around this point.

3. Does the barycenter always remain in the same position?

No, the barycenter does not always remain in the same position. This is because the relative positions of Earth and Sun change as they orbit around each other. Therefore, the barycenter also moves accordingly, but it always remains within the Sun's radius.

4. Are there any other factors that affect the position of the barycenter?

Yes, the positions of the barycenter can also be affected by the gravitational pull of other objects in our solar system, such as the other planets and their moons. However, the effect of these objects is relatively small compared to the gravitational force between Earth and Sun.

5. Does the barycenter play a role in other celestial bodies besides Earth and Sun?

Yes, the concept of a barycenter applies to any system of two or more objects that are in orbit around each other. Therefore, the barycenter also plays a role in the motion of other celestial bodies, such as moons orbiting around a planet or binary star systems.