Where does the Sol system lie in the cross-section of the Orion Spur?

In summary, the conversation discussed the approximate position of Sol in relation to the core and edge of the galaxy, as well as its height/depth within the Orion Spur/Arm. The speaker was looking for this information in order to create a map of space-faring factions. They were unsure of where Sol is located in three dimensions and how that would impact the placement of other locations within the arm. The conversation also mentioned that Sol is currently 50 light years above the galactic plane and will eventually reach about half the radius of the arm in approximately 12 million years. This would place Sol near the center of the arm.
AotrsCommander
So, I know that Sol lies roughly in the 25 000 light years from the core and from the edge of the galaxy and thus the approximate the position when seen from "above." But what a search today has not given me any idea of is where Sol is (thought/estimated to be) in relation to, well, height/depth. I.e. how far it is from the (for want of a better term) "surface" (top/bottom/side?) of the Orion Spur/Arm (as far as can be defined with such a nebulous (aha) boundary). Whether it's near the centre of the radius or the periphery or what. My google-fu has not been able to turn anything up.
The reason I'm asking is more suited for the Lounge in application, but, in short, I am looking at the possibility doing a (very, very VERY) crude map of space-faring factions, basically. This is a task which is in all likelihood, simply impractical for many reasons, not least of which being, well, a practical map of the galaxy that would even stand up to use. But even to make any kind of attempt, I still am lacking in all that much of a spatial "feel" for where Sol is located in the Orion Arm in three dimensions. And thus whether stuff stated to by on "the rim" - jury would be out whether it means the actual outer rim of the galaxy or the "rim" of the arm - could be in relation. If Sol is dead-centre, that is a lot different to it being near the "top" or the "bottom" or the inner side of the arm or what, since that potentially changes what, relative to Sol, the orientation of stuff on the aforementioned "rim."

(Plus, I realized, I just don't KNOW. And that bugs the engineer in me as well.)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Right, thanks; so if I'm understanding from that correctly, it's currently 50 ly above the galactic plane (so, 450 ly from the "top" (galactic north) of the Orion Spur, and it would eventually reach about half the radius of the arm at it's furthest point in... Extrapolating - something on the order of 12 million years.

(WELL outside the timescales I need to consider, since if I'm around by that point, I'll probably be able to have a galaxy in real time filled in properly and everything...!)

Which would place Sol pretty much central to the arm, then, by a reasonable definition (being within 10% of the radius).

1. Where is the Sol system located in relation to the Orion Spur?

The Sol system, which includes our Sun and its planets, is located within the Orion Spur, also known as the Orion Arm, of the Milky Way galaxy. It is approximately 26,000 light years from the center of the galaxy.

2. How does the Sol system fit into the larger structure of the Orion Spur?

The Sol system is just one small part of the Orion Spur, which is a long, curving arm of the Milky Way galaxy. The Orion Spur is one of four major spiral arms that make up the disk of our galaxy.

3. Is the Sol system in the center of the Orion Spur?

No, the Sol system is not in the center of the Orion Spur. It is located towards the outer edge of the spur, about two-thirds of the way from the center of the galaxy.

4. How does the Sol system's position in the Orion Spur affect its view of the galaxy?

The Sol system's position in the Orion Spur gives us a unique view of the Milky Way galaxy. We are able to see a large portion of the galaxy's disk, including the central bulge and the spiral arms, from our vantage point.

5. Are there any other significant celestial objects or structures near the Sol system in the Orion Spur?

Yes, there are several other notable objects and structures in the Orion Spur near the Sol system. These include the Orion Nebula, a large star-forming region, and the Pleiades star cluster, which is visible to the naked eye. There are also several other stars and star clusters within a few hundred light years of the Sol system.