Where I am going wrong in summing moments for this diagram?

Please clarify. In summary, the conversation is about summing moments for a diagram and determining the three moment arms for a force acting at point A. The original poster is getting a negative answer and is wondering where they went wrong. A discussion about the direction of the force and understanding moment arms takes place.
Benjamin_harsh
Homework Statement
Where I am doing wrong in summing moments for this diagram?
Relevant Equations
##\sum M_{A} = F.(d+d` )-F(d+d` )-F.d##

##\sum M_{A} = F.(d+d` )-F(d+d` )-F.d##

I am getting negative answer. Where I am doing wrong in summing moments for this diagram?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are summing moments about A, what are the three moment arms equal to?

Chestermiller said:
what are the three moment arms equal to?

I think three moment arms nothing but summing moments.

First, why are you now showing a force -F at A, which did not appear in the previous version of this thread? Is it something you forgot to mention before or did you invent it yourself? It is curious since the result is not equilibrium.

Secondly, you still don't seem to understand moment arms. The moment arm for the -F at A is the distance from point A to the line you have drawn to represent the force. How far is that? What moment does this force exert about A?

Benjamin_harsh said:
I think three moment arms nothing but summing moments.
What does this even mean?

1. Why is my sum of moments not equal to zero?

There could be a few reasons for this. First, check to make sure you are summing all the moments correctly, including the signs. Also, check if all the forces and distances are accounted for in your calculations. If everything seems to be correct, there may be a mistake in your diagram or in the given information.

2. Can I ignore certain forces or distances when summing moments?

No, all forces and distances must be accounted for when summing moments. Neglecting any of them will result in an incorrect sum.

3. Why is my sum of moments different from my colleague's?

This could be due to differences in the chosen point of rotation, or a mistake in one of your calculations. Double check your work and compare it with your colleague's to identify any discrepancies.

4. Can I use any point as the point of rotation when summing moments?

Yes, you can choose any point as the point of rotation when summing moments. However, it is usually easier to choose a point where some of the forces are acting, as this will result in fewer calculations.

5. How do I know if my sum of moments is correct?

If all the forces and distances are accounted for and the sum of moments equals zero, then your sum of moments is correct. You can also check by comparing your calculated values to the given values, if available.