What direction is the force acting at A in this diagram?

In summary, the conversation discusses the direction of force at point A in a diagram and how to calculate the net torque using the equation ##\sum M_{A} = F(d+d') - Fd'##. The concept of a "couple" is also mentioned, where two equal and opposite forces acting on different lines will have the same torque regardless of the chosen axis. The importance of understanding this concept and not relying on luck is emphasized.
Benjamin_harsh
Homework Statement
What direction is force at A in this diagram?
Relevant Equations
What direction is force at A in this diagram?
What direction is force acting at A in this diagram?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Benjamin_harsh said:
Problem Statement: What direction is force at A in this diagram?
Relevant Equations: What direction is force at A in this diagram?

What direction is force acting at A in this diagram?
I don't understand your question.
Are you asking
  • What force needs to be applied at A in order to achieve equilibrium?
  • What force is being applied at A in the diagram? (answer, none)
  • What net torque is being exerted at A by the forces in the diagram?
  • Something else?

Just explain how this equation is written ##\sum M_{A}## = ##F.(d + d') - F.d'##?

Benjamin_harsh said:
Just explain how this equation is written ##\sum M_{A}## = ##F.(d + d') - F.d'##?
As I read the equation, it is summing the "Moments" (also known as torques) about point A from the two applied forces.

The two moments are the left hand force ##F## multiplied by the moment arm whose perpendicular length is ##d+d'## and the right hand force ##-F## multiplied by the moment arm whose perpendicular length is ##d'##.

At a guess, the text is trying to lead up to the notion of a "couple" -- a pair of forces that sum to zero but which exert the same non-zero net torque regardless of the reference point about which the torque is calculated.

jbriggs444 said:
The two moments are the left hand force ##F## multiplied by the moment arm whose perpendicular length is ##d+d'##

Why did you multiply ##F## to both distances ##d+d`## instead of ##d## only?

Benjamin_harsh said:
Why did you multiply ##F## to both distances ##d+d`## instead of ##d## only?
What is the perpendicular distance between point A and the line of action of the left hand force?

jbriggs444 said:
What is the perpendicular distance between point A and the line of action of the left hand force?

There is no physical contact between ##A## and ##F##. So what perpendicular distance you are asking?

Benjamin_harsh said:
There is no physical contact between ##A## and ##F##. So what perpendicular distance you are asking?
The distance between the line of action of the left hand force and the reference point A.

We do this because it is the definition of torque.

Physical contact does not enter in. We are tasked with computing the sum of the torques from the two external forces. Both are computed relative to point A. Whether they are applied to a rigid body or not is irrelevant. The sum of the two will give a total torque. The torque will give a rate of change of angular momentum. The rate of change of angular momentum is still physically meaningful regardless of whether the torque is being applied to a rigid assembly.

Now I understand. ##\sum M_{A} = - F.(d + d') + F.d'##

Since it is acting anti clockwise, we need to multiply -ve to whole equation.

##\sum M_{A} = -(- F.(d + d') + F.d')##

##\sum M_{A} = F.d##

Benjamin_harsh said:
Now I understand. ##\sum M_{A} = - F.(d + d') + F.d'##

Since it is acting anti clockwise, we need to multiply -ve to whole equation.

##\sum M_{A} = -(- F.(d + d') + F.d')##

##\sum M_{A} = F.d##
Strictly speaking, the diagram is misleading. A force -F downwards is the same as a force F upwards. It should be shown either as F downwards or -F upwards.
E.g. if as F downwards then you would write the sum as F(d+d')-Fd and not need to flip the sign later.

Note that the answer does not depend on d'. This is an important result. A pair of forces that are equal and opposite as vectors but act along different lines form a "couple", and the torque of the couple is the same no matter what axis you choose.
This is the only situation in which the torque is independent of the choice of axis.

haruspex said:
Strictly sp...hoice of axis.
But my method luckily worked. I am satisfied. :smile:

Benjamin_harsh said:
But my method luckily worked. I am satisfied. :smile:
If you don't know how to it without trusting to luck you might not be so lucky next time.

1. What is the direction of the force at point A in this diagram?

The direction of the force at point A in this diagram is towards the left.

2. Is the force at point A acting in a horizontal or vertical direction?

The force at point A is acting in a horizontal direction.

3. How can you determine the direction of the force at point A?

The direction of the force at point A can be determined by looking at the direction of the arrow pointing towards point A in the diagram.

4. Does the direction of the force at point A change over time?

The direction of the force at point A can change over time depending on the external forces acting on the object at point A.

5. Can the direction of the force at point A be reversed?

Yes, the direction of the force at point A can be reversed if the direction of the external forces acting on the object changes.