Where Is the Majority of Climate Data Stored?

In summary, researchers are trying to remove climate data from government computers before the new presidential term. It is unclear how much data is stored on these servers, but it is likely that other countries also have access to this data. There have been concerns about political interference in this process.
newjerseyrunner
I keep reading news articles about how researches are trying to dump as much climate data as possible off of government computers before the new presidential term.

How much data is actually stored on government servers and no where else? Petabytes? Exabytes? Is it the majority of raw data? I assume most data is owned by NASA or NOAA but I have no idea if it's like half or like 99%

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I think the "and nowhere else" part is decisive here. I cannot imagine that the relevant data aren't available outside the US: UK, Japan, Australia, Germany, Canada and presumably Russia and China, too, have probably the same data for their climate researches. They are not really secret.

Sounds a bit like the story of Clinton's employees who allegedly removed all "W" keys on the WH computers on their leave.

Remember to stick to the science and stay away from the politics

This doesn't meet our rules, closed.

1. Where can I find global temperature data?

Global temperature data can be found on various websites such as NASA's Global Climate Change website, the National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI), and the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) website. These organizations collect and analyze data from various sources, including satellites, ground-based measurements, and weather stations.

2. What is the best source for historical climate data?

The best source for historical climate data is the NCEI. They have a comprehensive database of weather and climate data dating back to the late 19th century. This data is collected from various sources, including weather stations, ships, buoys, and satellites.

3. Where can I find data on sea level rise?

Data on sea level rise can be found on the NOAA's Center for Operational Oceanographic Products and Services (CO-OPS) website. They collect and analyze data from tide gauges and satellite altimetry to track changes in sea level over time.

4. Is there a website that provides real-time climate data?

Yes, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) has a website called Climate.gov that provides real-time climate data. This data is collected from various sources, including satellites, buoys, and weather stations, and is updated regularly to provide the most current information available.

5. How can I access climate data for a specific location?

You can access climate data for a specific location through the NCEI's Climate Data Online (CDO) website. This site allows you to search for and download data from weather stations and other sources for a specific location and time period. You can also access data for a specific location through the IPCC's Data Distribution Centre, which provides data from various climate models and scenarios.